• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Memphis BBQ

So....I've been in Memphis now for almost a week and eaten at several spots to try this heralded "Memphis BBQ" that everyone seems to hold in such high regard....aaaaaaand I have to say, it's OK. Nothing special. There's a sorghum, molasses hint to the sauces that is unique but in terms of proteins and preparations....it's not worth the drive and hassle of fighting the rolling gun fights and absolutely ****e Street conditions.

Here for two more days. Been to Stax and Beale Street. Anything else I "have to see" before I leave Mogadishu Jr.?
corkys the chain place. I travel for work a little and always make a point to try new and off the beaten path food places. Nothing in Memphis was memberable outside of it looking like chernobyl on the west side and corkys was the only bbq that was consistently par.

Man I had the exact same experience! Went to several of the Memphis joints and was not impressed - UNTIL a guy I trust told me about Commissary BBQ in Germantown. It's worth a visit if you have time. (Save yourself and stay far away from Rendezvous BBQ, its nothing but ribs grilled on a damn Weber)

Germantown is almost 30 minutes east of Memphis. Maybe on my way back to ATL. Thanks, though!

Solid copy on Rendezvous. Not a ribs guy anyways.

Unrelated, but worth mentioning,back in the day when I was working in Memphis several months a year, the best sushi was at the BP gas station on Poplar, across from Ruths Chris.

If Im ever in a new place I always keep an eye out for where all the service trucks are parked. You see the plumbers,electric companies,water department,etc,etc. Thats where you want to eat. Those guys are dedicated to good eats and will go out of their way to get it.

Back
Top Bottom