• Tacos..

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters

galvatron

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
83   0
Reaction score
It's time for a new toy and I'm looking for something outside of my usual 4wd's or scooters. I've been in a truck/jeep/suv for 20 years, long enough....

So budget for toy is 7k for purchase, repairs & upgrades no budget. Not unlimited funds just if something needs to be fixed and there's a better item to do it I'm spending whatever I need.
7K puts me into early 00's Miata's and late 80's 944's. It's a toy, weekend rides, occasionally dd, maybe just maybe an autocross or 2......
Been doing tons of research on both cars online found tons of good and bad for both.

What does the ODT brain trust have to say, kinda want to hear from owners of either.

for 7k your best bet by far would be to find a nice Miata someone has already boosted or swapped for a v8 if your wanting something quick. This is pretty much the going price so you can just take your time and find a nice one. You can go with a factory turbo mazda speed Miata but I can tell you they have pretty small turbos so you don't get the biggest bang for your buck that route.

If your just wanting something to cruise then I'd go for the lowest millage nicest one you can find. I personally like the NA miatas the most as they are the lightest and simplest (plus who doesn't love pop up headlights) and out of those the best years to look for would be a 94-97 (you get the bigger engine, breaks, suspension, and a few other small upgrades). Also the values for NA's are now on the upswing so a nice clean example can be a good investment. I'd then look at an NB but would stay away from the NC's honestly but that's just me.

You have to replace the timing belt, water pump and rollers on the 944 (religiously) or they will fail and destroy the engine. Service interval was either 20k or 40k. Can't remember. What I do remember was the cost. $2,500 and up. Steering rack failed once too. That was $800 plus just for the rack. I loved that stupid car though, kind of in a high maintenance date sort of way.

Back
Top Bottom