• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mid range optics opinions.

BigMike

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
232   0
Reaction score
I'm putting together another precision 5.56 gun and I'm trying to figure out if scope technology has produced new stuff that would warrant the extra $$ over what I'm used to. I am running a 3-15 vortex viper FFP scope and have no complaints. I see Steiner, NF, Leupold, and a few others have similar magnification scopes but without looking through one its hard to judge by a spec sheet. I don't need more magnification as I'm only shooting 1000-1200 yards max. Have I got a good scope or is there one better out?

Attachments

• 20231216_114944.jpg
    20231216_114944.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 13
I have a 2-10 Leupold Mk5 on a 14.5” Daniel V5s and a 3.6-18 Mk5 on a 18” Daniel V9s2w. Before that I had a 4-16 ATACR on the 18”. I had an older PST on a 16” gun a long time ago and didn’t have any complaints about it.

I think you’ve got a pretty decent piece of glass and if you can hit what you’re shooting at, great. Shoot what you like but I bet you’d see a difference between it and a new Razor at the range.

I have a 2-10 Leupold Mk5 on a 14.5” Daniel V5s and a 3.6-18 Mk5 on a 18” Daniel V9s2w. Before that I had a 4-16 ATACR on the 18”. I had an older PST on a 16” gun a long time ago and didn’t have any complaints about it.

I think you’ve got a pretty decent piece of glass and if you can hit what you’re shooting at great. Shoot what you like but I bet you’d see a difference between it and a new Razor at the range.
Do they make a razor in 3-15?

In no particular order, scopes I'd consider:
1. NF Nx8 2.5-20. Tracks properly. Ok glass. Light and short.
2. Eotech vudu 5-25. Accurate. Ok glass. Very short.
3. Razor gen 2 3-18. Bomb proof. Accurate. Better glass than the top 2. Heavy and not particularly short.
4. NF atacr 4-16. IMO, best scope nf has ever made.
5. ZCO 4-20. Best of the best in all facets. But you pay for it.

I have yet to find a leupold that I've been even remotely impressed with. Then you throw on their pretty consistent tracking issues, and I've come to a hard pass on em.

Certainly other options out there, but these are the first that come to my head.

Do they make a razor in 3-15?
Like ReservoirDawg10 ReservoirDawg10 said, they don't but I've found myself going with more magnification than I need lately and backing if off when I shoot. For example, I put a 5-25 Leupold Mk5 on a 6.5 Creedmoor Tikka Super Varmint but typically shoot at 20x (-ish) power then turning up the magnification when I needed a "spotting scope." So in your case, a 3-18 Razor might be perfect but I wouldn't shy away from a 4.5-27 Razor if I came across a deal. Just something to keep in mind.

Seems at this point I've seen too many good budget manufactures go out of business. With that said, Leupold is a good scope for the money. Thing is even if you can get a good budget scope, it probably won't last. I go to a lot of trouble to set mine up. So when it's set, I don't want it to budge. Also at long ranges, you need a scope with accurate adjustments. I know the Leupold has that. The glass isn't the best on the market, but it's good for the money. A good scope will last a lifetime. In this case even if it didn't, they'll take care of you

Looking through an optic won’t tell you everything you need to know either. How does it track? Will it maintain zero? Also, which reticles are going to provide you with the information need to make quick, consistent hits?

I would look at Burris XTRIII 3.3-18 also.
The burris XTR models (the 3 in particular) seems to punch way above it's class for optical clarity and field of view.

Another thing to consider is where the optics are made- china is typically lower end but quality can be hit or miss, Philippines is a step up. the Japanese LOW factory, etc.

Back
Top Bottom