• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Motorcycle Closed Course/Track

I've done most of the tracks around the SE on bikes. I helped one group for a while as an instructor and raced for a few years (back in 2000-2004 or so).

going to the track is a great way to learn skills. Take a class, or make sure that you get with one of the instructors and work on specific skills.

Road Atlanta is the closest track but it's a bit intimidating for beginners and not the cheapest place to go to.

Little Talladega (Talladega GPR) is another track that's close, excellent for beginners (it's short and no blind turns or elevation changes). I would recommend that. go with a good group (STT or others) and decide what you want out of the track day. Most single day events are about $100 at Tally. Best bang for the buck and you'll be wiped out after one day unless you are in good shape physically.

Jennings would be similar but a bit further away (Jennings, FL, right on the GA/FL border off I-75).

Barber Motorsports park would be the ultimate IMHO but it's not an easy track to learn (blind hills, elevation changes and a decently fast track).

If you have specific questions, PM or just post them here, I'd be glad to offer my opinions. :) I still know folks that do track days and some instructors so might be able to hook you up with someone to show you the ropes.

BUT if you have any desire to improve your skills, DO IT! I think it's the best way to hone your riding skills in a safe environment. Don't worry about your speed. My wife did the MSF class, rode maybe 2x on the street and then started doing track days with me. We got her a street triple R and she had a blast. within 1 or 2 track days she was up to speed and passing people. Just work on your skills and don't worry when some 12 year old rides by with his hands on his hips on your inside in a turn. just kidding, they'll be in the intermediate or advance class. most places the entry level groups there's no passing in the corners to keep things a bit safer.

what do you ride and what do you want to get out of it?

I think the new Dawsonville track does bike days occasionally.
It's a nice facility. Watched my buddy run his BMW (car) up there.

http://atlantamotorsportspark.com/
Guess Id better get a head start on setting up a GoFundMe for that track. Yowzas...

The Herrin Compound. Look it up.

Cooter
I remember seeing that place when researching Dublin last year. That looks like a viable option.

I've done most of the tracks around the SE on bikes. I helped one group for a while as an instructor and raced for a few years (back in 2000-2004 or so).

going to the track is a great way to learn skills. Take a class, or make sure that you get with one of the instructors and work on specific skills.

Road Atlanta is the closest track but it's a bit intimidating for beginners and not the cheapest place to go to.

Little Talladega (Talladega GPR) is another track that's close, excellent for beginners (it's short and no blind turns or elevation changes). I would recommend that. go with a good group (STT or others) and decide what you want out of the track day. Most single day events are about $100 at Tally. Best bang for the buck and you'll be wiped out after one day unless you are in good shape physically.

Jennings would be similar but a bit further away (Jennings, FL, right on the GA/FL border off I-75).

Barber Motorsports park would be the ultimate IMHO but it's not an easy track to learn (blind hills, elevation changes and a decently fast track).

If you have specific questions, PM or just post them here, I'd be glad to offer my opinions. :) I still know folks that do track days and some instructors so might be able to hook you up with someone to show you the ropes.

BUT if you have any desire to improve your skills, DO IT! I think it's the best way to hone your riding skills in a safe environment. Don't worry about your speed. My wife did the MSF class, rode maybe 2x on the street and then started doing track days with me. We got her a street triple R and she had a blast. within 1 or 2 track days she was up to speed and passing people. Just work on your skills and don't worry when some 12 year old rides by with his hands on his hips on your inside in a turn. just kidding, they'll be in the intermediate or advance class. most places the entry level groups there's no passing in the corners to keep things a bit safer.

what do you ride and what do you want to get out of it?
Thanks for offering to help! I'm on a bone stock 04 VFR800. Ya I'm not looking to be the fastest. Im just wanting to get better. Are there any requirements like having to wear full leathers at a track? I wear gear but not full leathers.

you'll have to check with the organization. some will allow a suit that zips together but not leather in the beginner groups, some rent leathers.

VFR will be fine on the track and surprise some. I used to ride my FJR1300 two up a lot during track days. fun to go around folks on the outside in turns riding two up. :)

222449_1044594326028_93_n.jpg

prep is pretty easy for most groups as well. remove center stand, disconnect and tape over lights/glass, and maybe some very basic safety wire (oil filter, drain plug and filler cap). Biggest thing is drain coolant and replace with water and water wetter. Make sure you change it back before the winter if you store the bike in a non heated garage.

Don't forget to pull the fuzes for your lights after you tape them up. A long track day with your lamps burning will bake the tape to your lights.

No bueno.

Don't forget to pull the fuzes for your lights after you tape them up. A long track day with your lamps burning will bake the tape to your lights.

No bueno.
yes for sure. some bikes (my FJR) the headlight fuses are also part of other things like the starter motor. pull the fuse, can't start bike. I did figure out how to get to the bulb plug and just unplug them. :)

Back
Top Bottom