• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Mouse guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you seem to have lost sight of the fact that early on I defined a mouse gun as anything that shoots a round smaller than a 380. Everything else I have said is based on that.

Does the 9mm loose power in such a short barrel? I've shot both the lc9 and lcp and the lcp was much more comfortable to make quicker shots ymmv
It loses some, but so does any other cartridge. Less recoil makes for faster follow up, but the difference should be minimal and not worth the loss of effectiveness of the individual shots fired. I'll take two good hits with a 9mm over three good hits with a 32 any day.

The lcp is a 380 tho which is kind of a short 9mm so just wondering if the 9mm looses enough velocity out of the shorter barrel that the 9 and 380 are almost equal
Nope. The 380 takes a similar loss in the shorter barrel, so it's a wash. Now, it would be interesting to see what the effect of a long barreled 380 compared to a short barreled 9mm is, but that misses the point of a small easily concealed weapon.

You're premise is wrong. A good SD gun is one that stops an attack. Killing is a side effect.

My opinion is backed up by every LE and Military organization that will not use anything smaller than a 9mm as their primary sidearm, which is basically all of them.

The ability of a firearm to stop an attacker is exactly what makes a difference in the likelihood that you will be able to stop the attacker before they can do damage to you.

Here is a different way of making my point. If you are in a fist fight, do you think a nice slap to the face will effectively win the fight or are you going to knock the crap out of the person to try and win the fight? Neither one of those is going to kill the person, but one is much more likely to end the fight than the other. Power matters.

My premise is correct. Dead is dead, and stopped is stopped.
If your opinion is backed up by LE and Military, fine, I am in neither of those two groups. Those groups are charged with protecting, and prepare to meet the aggressors head on. Any gun is better than no gun at all. Any gun carried is potentially a lethal weapon. Any gun not carried is worthless. You need to be more concerned about people carrying and not so concerned about the caliber. If you want to be like the LE and Military have at it, but not everyone fits your profile. I personally don't really care what anyone carries, as long as they carry. If a smaller "mouse" gun means that it will be carried and not left at home, use a "mouse" gun. You act as though people are stupid if they do not carry what you have decided is the proper carry piece. Wait...I forgot...this is the internet...everyone is an expert.

Would you encourage the use of a mouse gun for anyone that doesn't have those issues?
Yes. Ninety percent of my work puts me in non permissive environments. Due to the nature of my work it is neither practical nor prudent to attempt to carry a Glock 19 or similar sized pistol. My concession to that is to carry an LCR in .38 Special.

I chose the .38 as a matter of economics and with an understanding of my skills and limitations. I can shoot it quite well and more importantly I can practice with it and maintain proficiency. I'm also aware of the limited capacity and my options for reloads. Once again that falls into my decision making process.

Not everyone can shoot a 'lowly .38' well in a snub. That's where the smaller calibers come into play. .32 Long, .32 Mag, .327 Mag, .22 Mag and .22 LR are all viable options. I don't include .380's simply because I don't care for small autos. In my experience they are even harder to shoot well than small revolvers and require a higher level of maintenance than revolvers, especially when any form of pocket carry is used.

I've carried a .32 Long revolver on and off. To prove a point to myself I shot an entire seven stage IDPA match with it. It's a viable option with proper shot placement. At some point I'd like to acquire a .327 Mag to experiment with, however that's another discussion for another thread.

My premise is correct. Dead is dead, and stopped is stopped.
If your opinion is backed up by LE and Military, fine, I am in neither of those two groups. Those groups are charged with protecting, and prepare to meet the aggressors head on. Any gun is better than no gun at all. Any gun carried is potentially a lethal weapon. Any gun not carried is worthless. You need to be more concerned about people carrying and not so concerned about the caliber. If you want to be like the LE and Military have at it, but not everyone fits your profile. I personally don't really care what anyone carries, as long as they carry. If a smaller "mouse" gun means that it will be carried and not left at home, use a "mouse" gun. You act as though people are stupid if they do not carry what you have decided is the proper carry piece. Wait...I forgot...this is the internet...everyone is an expert.
"Dead is dead, and stopped is stopped."

That is absolutely correct. They are also very different things when considering a SD weapon. Unless it's a CNS hit people almost never die instantly when shot with a handgun bullet, so the question is how well the round stops the attack, not whether or not it kills the attacker. 32 and smaller seriously suck at doing that job.

As for deciding what an effective SD cartridge is, LE is a very good sources for this information. They are not charged with going out and killing people, but the nature of their job means they are much more likely to find themselves in a SD situation. In fact, they are the group that is most likely to have to defend themselves, so paying attention to what their research has found is a good idea. I'm not the expert, but they sure as hell are.

I would also point out that using a substantial SD round and carrying every day are not mutually exclusive. If a person chooses to carry a weapon, but decides on a mouse gun caliber, that is their first tactical mistake. Especially when there are so many better weapons that are small as hell.

Does the 9mm loose power in such a short barrel? I've shot both the lc9 and lcp and the lcp was much more comfortable to make quicker shots ymmv

Most rounds loose around 80 to 120 f.p.s. per inch of barrel decreased. There are rounds specifically designed to be used with short barrel guns such as the ones pictured.

Attachments

• 20151122_105742-1.jpg
    20151122_105742-1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom