• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Mouse guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we are talking about different things. In an environment where printing or an accidental bump could mean losing a job there is more to consider.

Agreed.... which is why I don't ridicule or belittle shooters who come through classes with "mouseguns".
It is personal choice what, or even if, one carries at all.

The .32 Auto has consistently better penetration than the .380, especially when heavier clothing is introduced.
And the bullet choice to achieve that means it sacrifices expansion and the size of the wound channel, making it a less effective man stopper.

There is no single aspect of terminal ballistics that makes up a good SD round. It is a combination of several thing. Penetration, bullet expansion, permanent wound channel, temporary wound channel (sorry Monty) and energy transfer are all important factors. The more powerful a round is, the better it is at doing a combination of these things.

And the bullet choice to achieve that means it sacrifices expansion and the size of the wound channel, making it a less effective man stopper.

There is no single aspect of terminal ballistics that makes up a good SD round. It is a combination of several thing. Penetration, bullet expansion, permanent wound channel, temporary wound channel (sorry Monty) and energy transfer are all important factors. The more powerful a round is, the better it is at doing a combination of these things.

For what?
I don't disagree with that statement.
Just reread it.... no I don't think energy transfer is very important.

Last edited:
I really don't care what or how someone chooses to carry but what has really been cracking me up lately is all the lcp, bodyguards, and j-frame type guns I've been seeing people open carry proudly in a Blackhawk style paddle holster. Why the hell would you open carry a gun smaller than your wallet?

Because they can.

While poor technique is a factor, that's not always the case. You completely ignored the part about the .32
long.
Sigh, as I said, in the rare circumstances that a person is physically unable to deal with more recoil, they should carry what they can with a full understanding of it's limitations.

As for the 32 Long, I'm not a revolver guy, so I don't keep track of cartridges for them other than the best known ones. After looking up some info on the 32 Long, it doesn't seem to be any better that the 32 ACP, but that is based on the ballistic info from only one source.

Dang man, you continue to miss the point. A carried gun is a potentially lethal gun. A gun left at home is worthless. Everyone should carry, and be proficient with what they carry. If you can't shoot what you carry, the caliber doesn't matter. If someone doesn't feel comfortable with the calibers you suggest, then they should carry what they feel comfortable in carrying and the caliber should not matter. If it matters to you, OK, but again, not everyone fits your profile.
If you believe it is a tactical mistake to carry something other than you suggest, then you are the one with the tactical problem. I believe it is a tactical mistake not to carry. Man, you are really missing the point.
No, I get your point, but it has little to do with what I'm saying. You keep coming back to this thing about not carrying. Why? Where have I even slightly eluded to that? What I'm saying is that the number of people that can not effectively carry and shoot at the very least a 380 due to physical problems is probably so small it is nearly statistically zero. On the other hand, the number of people that carry mouse guns because they greatly overestimate their capabilities is probably substantial. Why would a person that can carry and shoot a 9mm effectively (with a just a little more effort and practice) choose to carry a 25? Because they think it will do much more than it can and that is a very poor tactical decision based on false information.

Because they think it is a lot more badass than it is.
Pretty much. I carried a lcp in the back pocket for so long I had 5 pairs of blue jeans with a perfect imprint of the gun like you see with dip cans. The reason I carried it was because my threat level at work was pretty much 0 and carrying it in my back pocket it was practically unnoticeable to me. Unlike carrying a lc9 in my pocket.

I don't usually OC, but when I do ...I go all out!

bGQyh.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom