• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

High priced Guns & Cheap scopes?

Is this just a Southern thing? Or is it a sale issue? (Keep the good scope)
Lots of cheap scopes on good guns here.
since good glass can cost more than the rifle. yea, keep the glass. i have sold a few 700 long range set ups, but never my glass. its been on every thing from a 17hmr to a 50bmg. 6 to 26 x 56 and 150 moa of adjustment. i just a few months back picked up another of just for my 17. so the 308 and the 17 wear the same scope. if i ever sell them, the scopes will stay with me. i may add a scope or just sell them without..
but its real hard to sell a $700 remmy 700 in a $500 chassis, with a $300 stock, $200 monopod and $50 grip
for $1200 to $1500, on its own. now add $1500 + optic.
but you pull of the glass and the go a little easier. truth is, most people have a preferred optic, and your choice is trash in their opinion.

since good glass can cost more than the rifle. yea, keep the glass. i have sold a few 700 long range set ups, but never my glass. its been on every thing from a 17hmr to a 50bmg. 6 to 26 x 56 and 150 moa of adjustment. i just a few months back picked up another of just for my 17. so the 308 and the 17 wear the same scope. if i ever sell them, the scopes will stay with me. i may add a scope or just sell them without..
but its real hard to sell a $700 remmy 700 in a $500 chassis, with a $300 stock, $200 monopod and $50 grip
for $1200 to $1500, on its own. now add $1500 + optic.
but you pull of the glass and the go a little easier. truth is, most people have a preferred optic, and your choice is trash in their opinion.
That sums it up for resales on ODT (and elsewhere).

I was at River Bend Gun Club one day and I was shooting My AR-10. It had a Nikon M-308 scope on it at the time. I think they went for 499 at the time. The guy next to me had a higher line scope on his bolt gun. . I can't remember if it was a Night force or Trijicon. I asked if I could look through his scope and compare the two. I honestly couldn't tell the difference in clarity or light transmission. Now I am sure his would hold up to rougher duty conditions than the Nikon. I had that scope for 7 or 8 years and it never moved on zero one 1/4 MOA that whole time. Now I'm sure I'll catch flack from the scope snobs and yes I'm sure that the his scope was better in more areas but from what I could see in those two areas I didn't see a whole lot of difference. Those Nikon scopes were great kit. They were light and held zero forever. I wish I still had it.

I was at River Bend Gun Club one day and I was shooting My AR-10. It had a Nikon M-308 scope on it at the time. I think they went for 499 at the time. The guy next to me had a higher line scope on his bolt gun. . I can't remember if it was a Night force or Trijicon. I asked if I could look through his scope and compare the two. I honestly couldn't tell the difference in clarity or light transmission. Now I am sure his would hold up to rougher duty conditions than the Nikon. I had that scope for 7 or 8 years and it never moved on zero one 1/4 MOA that whole time. Now I'm sure I'll catch flack from the scope snobs and yes I'm sure that the his scope was better in more areas but from what I could see in those two areas I didn't see a whole lot of difference. Those Nikon scopes were great kit. They were light and held zero forever. I wish I still had it.

Nikons have always had great glass. Even on their cheaper models. The M308, not P308, but the M series was a $500 scope by Nikon. I liked the M series but I just wish they came in mils. Or course when Nikon releases the black series they immediately stop their scope production.

Back
Top Bottom