My first try at a Get Home Bag

I guess I need to break out my 2m handset and re-familiarize myself with it.

Maybe for non-HAM types a very small AM/FM radio would be good to stay on top of news and emergency alerts.

... I have no intentions of including a spare change of clothes.

I added clothes and shoes alongside my bag because I never know whatI'll be doing or where I will be when I need it. If I'm playing Sand VB barefoot/shorts/t-shirt ... I'll need something a bit more substantial for clothes, especially shoes. ymmv

Knife is a Timberline +B Neck Angel. Its suppose to be one of those last ditch neck knifes, so its stainless on one side but I wanted something with a secure sheath that could be molle attached...and wasnt a $350 ESEE. I loved the little SOB i bought a second one.
http://www.gatcosharpeners.com/product/fixedblades/neck_angel.mgi?mgiToken=L2H0IL6XJMNN13EA3

Ill have to check out those bestglide boxes. This plano one curves so perfectly, it almost seems like it was made for this Condor bag.

I keep getting told to ditch the snake bite kit, and I wanted to get the new plunger type, especally after I read this article:
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...ns-life-after-he-was-bitten-by-a-rattlesnake/

Good point on the soap strips. Ill have to hit up the travel section at the store this weekend for some soap.

I normally keep a tube of tylenol and a tube of advil in here, but work recently has had me raid my emergency pain killer stash. If you look at my first attempt at this kit, they were in there. I shouldnt of cut & pasted then modified the kit list, i left out a bunch of stuff.

I have marathon bars in there, but have been thinking about switching them out for cliff bars. I usually "test" them while at work. Wait till lunch and get good and hungry, eat one and see how long it lasts before im hungry again. the snickers marathon bars seem to last the longest for me so far..even though they taste like poo.

The bungee cord, ah yes. we have history. It was part of the original kit that got me into wanting to make a GHB, same kit the micro roll of duct tape came from. I keep it with the mentality of needing to tie off something temporarily and quick...where I don't want to cut up some paracord or use up some zip ties. Ive secured it between 2 small trees in my back yard, and threw one of those emergency blankets over it and made a quick rain shelter out of it. trees cant be more than about 5ft apart though. Only prob is though, the emergency blanket is like a giant reflector being silver and all, so Ive ordered some of those army surplus OD green emergency blankets.

Thanks for the input!

-Carlo

And thanks to buddy59, I dub thee, "Carlo the soulless ginger."
:redface:

I got the "Neck Angel" neck-knife yesterday---it is a great little tool! Thanks for the tip.
For anyone looking at the pic, it is thin stainless steel sandwiched with black kydex to be sturdy but light....and a nifty kydex sheath too. The sheath has both a belt clip and a black chain for carry options.

I saw your first aid/medicine list, and it is excellent, but didn't see anything stronger than Tylenol. Was just suggesting something with codeine or synthetics like oxycodone or hydrocodone.

I'm pretty down on Sawyer products, because of their BS advetising campaign for the syringe type snake bite kit, when it first came out. There was a lot of umbrage over the credibility and lack of impartiality of their "certified medical expert." Now they are marketing "advanced Insect Repellent technology" for $20 a bottle......its called Permethrin, and I have been getting it in the pet section of every grocery store in town for 30 years.

I get the history part about the bungee cord....I have several items like that. Certain seemingly unnecessary items can give you either comfort or confidence and the will to survive, so they are worth their weight in gold.

I just carry GORP and couscous with me. I found rectangular, pint sized nalgene bottles at Target in their $1.00 section. they are great containers without all the wasted space.

Don't diss the duct tape! Too many uses, but it is essential to patch, and/or reinforce the corners of the space blankets and ponchos for use as tarps.

Great job starting this thread!!
Bring on the zombies!!!

I added clothes and shoes alongside my bag because I never know whatI'll be doing or where I will be when I need it. If I'm playing Sand VB barefoot/shorts/t-shirt ... I'll need something a bit more substantial for clothes, especially shoes. ymmv

I agree. I wear dress shoes and pants at work. I'm not gonna want to walk out with that on. I don't keep any clothes in my pack (except one pair of socks), but I doo keep a spare t-shirt, shorts, and hiking boots in my truck. this way if something was to happen at work or another place (like the pool), I can change into something very quickly and walk out. If i was at the lake, I don't want to walk home with a GHB or BOB in my flip flops and swim trunks.

I keep my pack inside a large dufflebag in the trunk of the car. That way, I have a complete change(s) of clothes in one side and the GHB in the other. Allows me to cut down on weight in the actual GHB, yet still have multiple clothing options.

I wear boots to work everyday so that is covered....but often slacks and dress shirts so I keep some columbia PFG (Shirt and Pants) vacuum sealed in my GHB.

That and my rain suit never leave the bag (unless im shacking or its raining lol).

I EDC like the world might stop, in a BOB or GHB -I do carry xtra sweats, pull over and socks incase I get wet or need to dry or layer up. I hate cold

there are some vacuum bags (for sweeters or something) that have a 1 way valve and a zip seal mouth that work OK for saving space

Last edited:
I EDC like the world might stop, in a BOB or GHB -I do carry xtra sweats, pull over and socks incase I get wet or need to dry or layer up. I hate cold

there are some vacuum bags (for sweeters or something) that have a 1 way valve and a zip seal mouth that work OK for saving space

that is the god's honest truth right there.

Back
Top Bottom