• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My new Sig P229 Blue Piranha, awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know I'm tired of your sad puppy's attitude and of your extended version of resume in every post. My offer stands. If you can get over this 5 years old's perception, you can ping me. I'm not very particular with whom I drink, it's just a way to meet new people and sometimes to make new friends.

You called me a liar, you're not man enough to apologize, and you think we may be friends? You, sir, don't have the sort of friends that I do.

BTW why not to get together for nice cold beer?

No thank you, but I tell you what I will do. I'll give you a free slot in one of my handgun courses. I'm even going to do a 2-day DA/SA Operator Course with a SIG Armorer's Maintenance class on the morning of Day 2. It's not on the schedule yet, but later this year. I always run a P229 during my handgun classes.

Personal arguments aside, does anyone actually know the problem that would have an LE agency make such request? I remember seeing CM's post on ARFCOM about it but not knowing the reasoning behind it. I texted a friend who is also a Sig armorer and he said he had no idea, last he had heard was that Sig advised new replacements to be of the snail type. Are their field failures causing this need because my understanding was the newer wound steel pins would not walk and were far stronger than the old style split pin. Whole thing is strange but I don't see Sig wasting money for no reason unless they were worried about losing a contract as supplier.

I did not call you a liar. Check the posts. If I would I'd offer you an apology

"What I'm not impressed with is a made up story."

From Webster's:
made–up
\ˈmād-ˈəp\
adjective
  • : created from the imagination : not true or real

Personal arguments aside, does anyone actually know the problem that would have an LE agency make such request? I remember seeing CM's post on ARFCOM about it but not knowing the reasoning behind it. I texted a friend who is also a Sig armorer and he said he had no idea, last he had heard was that Sig advised new replacements to be of the snail type. Are their field failures causing this need because my understanding was the newer wound steel pins would not walk and were far stronger than the old style split pin. Whole thing is strange but I don't see Sig wasting money for no reason unless they were worried about losing a contract as supplier.

SIG started with a 2-piece roll pin and switched to a much more expensive solid pin with an enlarged, splined head on the left side. They wouldn't have switched to a more expensive pin if there wasn't a problem with the roll pin. There were issues with the center price of the 2-piece roll pin walking out and/or breaking under use, I do believe.

Years later, they switched from the more expensive solid pin to a snail pin, which is not the same as a roll pin. A snail pin (there are other names for it as well) is of one-piece construction.......it's just coiled up around itself. In most applications, it's a good, solid piece. Works just fine, and cheaper than the solid pin with the splined head.

In my agency, all the replacing is being done at HQ-level, using SIG factory Armorer's that they are sending over just to do this work. They're keeping it as quiet as possible and not saying much about it. Personally, in my office we have not seen an issue with the firing pin positioning pin, AFAIK. There is more than one possible issue with the snail type pin, amongst them:
1. breaking
2. walking out due to size fluctuation
3. springs catching on a sharp edge of the pin and causing misfires

Again, I have not personally seen any of these issues, but other LE Armorers that I know have reported it and SIG is going through a lot of trouble to replace the pins with the older, solid pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom