• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

My parents had a tv like this…

I remember how excited we were to start getting WTCG Channel 17. Anyone remember that little station and what it became?
Don’t remember that but I remember my uppity friends that had Chicago channel 9 on their huge antenna. Loved the weather broadcasts in winter. We saw 2 “measurable snows” in Georgia from 1971-1990

I remember how excited we were to start getting WTCG Channel 17. Anyone remember that little station and what it became?
I remember it well. It was before they turned it into WTBS. Home if the Braves and all the old syndicated reruns you could stand. Maybe it was Ted Turner's idea for everything on both stations to start five minutes after the hour. Like how the Braves games would all start at 7:05 or 7:35. I guess Ted wanted all his shows to start while every other network was gone to commercials.
But yeah all that predates CNN and the big cable systems. When I lived in Forsyth in 04/05 in a literal shack I was happy to be far enough north to get TBS and WSB on my TV and 96 Rock on my Yamaha stereo receiver. Probably the only good part of living there.

What was the one from Chicago just like TBS that used to show all the Cubs games and drunk ass Harry Carrey singing Take Me Out to the Ballgame?

Hell man, I had a TV like that.
It was kind of hilarious, you could use the remote control or just shake your car keys and it would change the channel. L O L!
Remote.jpg

I remember it well. It was before they turned it into WTBS. Home if the Braves and all the old syndicated reruns you could stand. Maybe it was Ted Turner's idea for everything on both stations to start five minutes after the hour. Like how the Braves games would all start at 7:05 or 7:35. I guess Ted wanted all his shows to start while every other network was gone to commercials.
But yeah all that predates CNN and the big cable systems. When I lived in Forsyth in 04/05 in a literal shack I was happy to be far enough north to get TBS and WSB on my TV and 96 Rock on my Yamaha stereo receiver. Probably the only good part of living there.
Ted did the 5 minutes ater the top of the hour and half hour just so he'd have his own pages in the TV Guide, separate from all the other networks that scheduled shows at the top and half after the hour. Made it easier to find the WTBS listings in the mag. Smart thinking dude back then.

Back
Top Bottom