• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

National signing day...

Career Record: 14 Years, 136-48, .739 Pct

That's great in any conference, I think he even has a winning bowl record like 9-5 or something close to it. So all around it's pretty good and similar to some of the big names in College Football. I just don't think he has what it takes to win it all. This year though could be way different, he went out and got a big name coordinator!
I tell you what, Les Miles is 103-29 which is a .780 winning percentage. He's 6-4 bowls, 2 NCG appearances and a national championship. Even though he has such a superior record, for my UGA friends I am willing to swap coaches. It the least I can do. I assume you are in?

Well let's see. Since 2001 (when he started) there have been 9 different national champions (none Georgia of course). There are 128 D1 programs. 5% of that is 6 (rounded) meaning for 95% to envy him there should only be 6 different national champions, so, no, there are at least 9 and obviously more given the programs that have a higher average finishing record than UGA over that same time frame but no national championship, that are quite content to NOT have the same 'success' as UGA. I'm sorry, I'm a finance major and live in numbers.... it's what we do. ;)
Just messing with you. If Richt was good a coach as he is a man, UGA would have a NC trophy or three in Athens. Richt is a great man. If my son played D1 ball I'd want Mark to be his coach. If I was the AD at a major D1 program I would want someone else.
Yeah the 95% was some hyperbole but based on total wins not national titles. Anyway some smart people compared recruiting class rankings to team performance (as seen on espn.com: http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/after-signing-day-wisconsin-makes-the-best-of-its-recruits/
Interesting short read with charts

Yeah the 95% was some hyperbole but based on total wins not national titles. Anyway some smart people compared recruiting class rankings to team performance (as seen on espn.com: http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/after-signing-day-wisconsin-makes-the-best-of-its-recruits/
Interesting short read with charts
That's interesting but it's based on just the one year. Looks about right for last year though. Be nice to see a composite of that over several years. Poor Vanderbilt just can't catch a break. :laugh:

That's interesting but it's based on just the one year. Looks about right for last year though. Be nice to see a composite of that over several years. Poor Vanderbilt just can't catch a break. :laugh:
Maybe the link did not get it all but there is a 10 year study there as well. The power teams usually fared slightly better than expected (including UGA, Ala, etc)

I tell you what, Les Miles is 103-29 which is a .780 winning percentage. He's 6-4 bowls, 2 NCG appearances and a national championship. Even though he has such a superior record, for my UGA friends I am willing to swap coaches. It the least I can do. I assume you are in?

No thanks. People give Richt a hard time for not winning the big one, and I'm usually one of them. However, I'm very interested to see how the new OC and another year with our DC will play out. Obviously a head coach is the most important coach on the team, but I think having high quality coordinators can make all the difference. Richt hasn't been calling the plays on offense of defense (at least not for years), so other than the personality of the team a lot of the play calling and player development is on the assistant coaches.

Career Record: 13 Years, 142-26, .845 Pct Bowl Record: 10 Bowls, 8-2, .800 Pct Urban Meyer
I will stick with Meyer as our coach for as long as he stays! I was doing some browsing on records and it seems I have mispoke on Richt. He is record is inline with medicore coaches( that's based off college history) in every conference. Looking up several coaches all the different conferences, Richt has the lowest of all. the people I did this for are Saban, Meyer, Miles, Richt, Cooper, Bowden, Hayes, Holtz,Spurrier, Brown, Tressel and Crisler. So I did research from old coaches to some new and most in the major conferences. Richt seems to be on the lower end/ what they called the medicore. With all the data complied I think UGA needs to start finding someone who can get the National Championship.

Career Record: 13 Years, 142-26, .845 Pct Bowl Record: 10 Bowls, 8-2, .800 Pct Urban Meyer
I will stick with Meyer as our coach for as long as he stays! I was doing some browsing on records and it seems I have mispoke on Richt. He is record is inline with medicore coaches( that's based off college history) in every conference. Looking up several coaches all the different conferences, Richt has the lowest of all. the people I did this for are Saban, Meyer, Miles, Richt, Cooper, Bowden, Hayes, Holtz,Spurrier, Brown, Tressel and Crisler. So I did research from old coaches to some new and most in the major conferences. Richt seems to be on the lower end/ what they called the medicore. With all the data complied I think UGA needs to start finding someone who can get the National Championship.

So you compared Richt to some of the greatest of all time?

Back
Top Bottom