• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need a soundproof wall.

You will need broadband absorption close to the noise source (dogs) and a lot of mass between you and your neighbor. Are you building (new construction) or remodeling? Compressed fiberglass is a fast, excellent sound absorber. Filled concrete block or poured walls are some of your better mass. Any penetrations will let way more sound through than you would first imagine. PM me if you need more detail.
Thanks. Remodeling an existing structure.

Surprised no one has mentioned lead.

I've been in 3 anechoic chambers, and they all were line with lead in some form. It's a strange experience for sure,

I'm sure at current prices it's spendy, and that the other options mentioned are more practical.

My father built some buildings for Southern Bell, and they would build a wall with a 6" plate, offset the studs for two walls, and put insulation in the wall, so that other than the plate and header there was no connection between the two rooms.

I have a Masters in Audio Engineering and have setup various studio spaces and churches. This isn’t exactly the same thing, but same theories apply. Just here to lend a bit of knowledge.

There’s several ways to do it, but it sounds like you’re in a temporary space. Is that correct? If so, you probably don’t want to make permanent changes. Be sure to check with the owner/ landlord so you aren’t breaking fire code. You can do these things yourself and save a LOT of $$…

First, you’d want the animals as far away from the wall as possible.

-Option 1-

1. Frame a wall in front of the existing wall. Approximately 2-4 inches between them. Building it in sections would be easier to move; plus no need to tape and grout!

2. Stuff R13 or R19 soundproofing insulation between the 2x4s.

3. Add drywall. (Soundproofing drywall if possible.)

4. Use sound dampening paint. It’s also helpful to put things in front of the wall that can mitigate sound. Dog toys, bags of food, etc. If you’ll storing those things on site.

-Option 2-

Check with the building owner if you can do “spray insulation” in that wall. Just tell the company doing it to use soundproofing insulation.

-Option 3-

1. Remove the drywall, add R13 or R19 soundproofing insulation.

2. Replace the drywall and paint with sound dampening paint.

*Some walls are modular in buildings like that to allow stores to be expanded. If that’s the case, ask if you can insert soundproofing into those walls. Sound be able to access them from the top.

-Option 4-

Cover the wall in acoustic panels. No gaps. This will get expensive but it’s the easiest method.

Note: You may want to consider white noise machines. These are used in tons of places and people don’t even notice.
That's some great info. Thanks!

This is not a temporary situation. We are putting over 100 grand into modifications and renovations. This particular room is just one part that we are using while the rest of the place (10,000sqft) is being prepared, but it will still have some dogs in it after everything is done. It will be the "Puppy Room" for dogs that are too young to play with the adults.

Surprised no one has mentioned lead.

I've been in 3 anechoic chambers, and they all were line with lead in some form. It's a strange experience for sure,

I'm sure at current prices it's spendy, and that the other options mentioned are more practical.

My father built some buildings for Southern Bell, and they would build a wall with a 6" plate, offset the studs for two walls, and put insulation in the wall, so that other than the plate and header there was no connection between the two rooms.

Its amazingly expensive now.

Can you obtain a stand-alone building?

Putting a DDC in a strip mall will be like moving a crack house into an HOA. Your neighbors are going to hate you. ANY issues will be reported to 'management'.

Common walls equal common problems. . . Noise, smells (yeah, that WILL happen) among other things are just two issues you will be facing.

Modifications to demising walls may run afoul of the local building department/permit authority.

I would suggest abandoning the strip mall and going for a stand-alone. The price for fencing may be less than trying to soundproof a strip mall.

That said. . . Where do I apply? (Not quite ready to retire. But the company I work for is changing hands and I have no interest in staying with our new corporate masters). Scooping poop and playing with pups seems like a good way to end my working years.

Can you obtain a stand-alone building?

Putting a DDC in a strip mall will be like moving a crack house into an HOA. Your neighbors are going to hate you. ANY issues will be reported to 'management'.

Common walls equal common problems. . . Noise, smells (yeah, that WILL happen) among other things are just two issues you will be facing.

Modifications to demising walls may run afoul of the local building department/permit authority.

I would suggest abandoning the strip mall and going for a stand-alone. The price for fencing may be less than trying to soundproof a strip mall.

That said. . . Where do I apply? (Not quite ready to retire. But the company I work for is changing hands and I have no interest in staying with our new corporate masters). Scooping poop and playing with pups seems like a good way to end my working years.
It's a strip mall, but the units we have are actually an old live theater building and the majority of it does not share a wall. The lobby area has two units on either side of it that comes with the property that will insulate that section from the neighbors. It's actually one of those units we are dealing with now while the renovations to the rest of the property are being done. Smell will not be an issue. We are very good at this and all areas stay clean and sanitary. Department of Agriculture has commented several times on this during unannounced inspections of previous locations.

This is going to be a very cool place once it's done.

Back
Top Bottom