• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

need help assembling my first ar

No offense to the OP but I honestly can't understand why anyone would build an AR without having the basic tools required. Seriously, I don't get it. I don't get building "budget AR's" either. I don't care about seeing how cheap I can build one for. Anyway, would you go to a new dentist that had a chisel and a pair of pliers only? He might could fix your problem, but I wouldn't trust my chompers to less than minimum tools. Youtube will get you there but spend a few extra doll hairs and get an armorer's wrench, roll pin and receiver block at least (and a clevis pin or front pivot pin tool to save some headache). If your assembling an upper you'll need a vice. IF you don't want to invest in the correct tools then your idea of meeting up with someone that has what you need and is willing to help is your best bet. Good luck building.
^^^^^^^^^^^^

For what it's worth, I agree, I build my own and take pride in what "I" accomplished. If there a scratch, or nick I put it there. My first one was far from perfect, but "I" put it together, no nothing unsafe, but the assembling marks were mine. I purchased the tools I needed and own them. If I needed to borrow something, I bought it and used it again.
I think we forgot about the pride in assembling our own weapon, knowing how to repair it when broken and enjoying it.

Absolutely, when in doubt ask question, follow the ones you like and trust, but do it yourself, you would have more pride in what you accomplished.
Just my 2 cents.

OP
Put all those parts in the drier and add some wd40 in the detergent cup, set to high heat cotton and leave it for an hour.....trust me, you'll love your new AR. I've built three this way.

Kidding
But hey I make it to Athens at least once a month, next time I'm pointed that way I'll pm you and see if you still need assistance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No offense to the OP but I honestly can't understand why anyone would build an AR without having the basic tools required. Seriously, I don't get it. I don't get building "budget AR's" either. I don't care about seeing how cheap I can build one for. Anyway, would you go to a new dentist that had a chisel and a pair of pliers only? He might could fix your problem, but I wouldn't trust my chompers to less than minimum tools. Youtube will get you there but spend a few extra doll hairs and get an armorer's wrench, roll pin and receiver block at least (and a clevis pin or front pivot pin tool to save some headache). If your assembling an upper you'll need a vice. IF you don't want to invest in the correct tools then your idea of meeting up with someone that has what you need and is willing to help is your best bet. Good luck building.

id agree with this when it comes to the tools. they will help you out in the long run and one question to ask yourself is are you 100% certain you will never want to change anything out on it? because if you do your still going to need those tools if you want to swap your barrel, muzzle brake, handguards. it really does make sense to just go an grab a cheap set of tools. I got my vice blocks for less than 20 bucks for the set, my armorers wrench was 14 and my punches were only a couple bucks a piece.

As to the budget part a lot of the time its just fun to see how cheap you can make one. I made a 300blackout that I knew I wanted to use for hunting/loaning and to beat the **** out of in the woods so I went as cheap as possible (iirc cost was under $200 when it was done), its not the prettiest thing out there and is pretty heavy but serves its purpose just well and I don't ever worry about what happens to it.

1. metal mag and vice or bubba-vice-substitute

2. Armorer's wrench(es) that match your barrel nuts

3. Roll pin starter and punches and soft hammer

4. Anti-seize grease

5. Torque screwdriver with all the right bits (mostly for the optics)

6. lube for your bolt and carrier

7. ...

Regarding the lower only:

I assembled my last lower with nothing more than set of pliers, rubber mallet and a monkey wrench to do the "pin trick".

Granted I didnt have a vice so my local shop threw it on theirs and tightened the castle nut for me. Gave the guy a nice box of ammo as a tip.

Shy of the castle nut, you don't need fancy tools.

The upper is a different story.

i195.photobucket.com_albums_z272_romilayu_duracell_20141031105701_zps0ig9woyy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom