• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need help getting out of the reloading "pit of misery"

Trapper

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
90   0
Reaction score
Ok, so here's the problem........ I got a new .224 Grendel barrel and while I was putting my upper together, I was stocking up on some of the bullets that I thought would be able to shoot using this cartridge. My history is with the .20 Practical, .223, the 6mm Grendel, and the 6.5 Grendel. Here is what I measured using the Hornady OAL device. Using the Hornady OAL gauge I measured several bullets for their distance from the base of the brass to the ogive against the lands.
82 Berger 2.3335"
80 Berger VLD target 2.330"
80 Sierra BTHP 2.434"
75 H. Amax 2.410"
75 H. BTHP 2.247"
75 H. ELD-M 2.410"
62 Barnes TTSX 2.292"
The SMK 69 HPBT-M was falling out of the brass before hitting the lands
Hornady 52 BTHP same as above.

I was told to load the 80.5 Berger to 2.245", the 80 Berger VLD to 2.237" and the 75 ELD-M to 2.257", but that is still a very very long jump to the lands.

The free bore and throat add up to .175" on the diagram, I tried to load the diagram and some pics, but it says I have to resize the pictures and don't know how.

I was told that some bullets will not reach the lands before falling out of the brass or that there would not be enough of the bullet in the neck to grasp effectively and that I should add " 1x " to the length. I have no clue what that means.

Trying to find a re-loader around the Athens area I can chat with.

Thanks,
Trapper

Attachments

• 224 LBC-AR (.2548nk .080fb) Print 31180 (1)-page-001 (1).jpg
    224 LBC-AR (.2548nk .080fb) Print 31180 (1)-page-001 (1).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 41
Load your bullets to the OAL specified by your load data, the bullet does not need to be touching the lands when you fire the round. I am assuming you are shooting this caliber out of a bolt gun? If you want to develop a round with the bullet loaded just shy of your lands, get a heavier bullet. If you are using a rifle with a magazine (most semi-auto's), the outer limits of your OAL will be determined by your magazines dimensions.

Thank you Madcow,
I am using an AR15 and there are no loading manuals for this round as it is a wildcat round. I have been shooting it's big brothers, the 6.5 Grendel and the 6mm Grendel successfully for several years now and just want to fill out the trilogy with this .224 Grendel. Holds approx. 6.5 more grains of powder than the 5.56 and fits in the AR15 mags.

Sounds like the guy that chambered the barrel owes you some insight as to why the lead/throat is so long. Can you single shot load it? What twist rate is the rifling?

Just taking a stab at the 1x part of your post, and the chamber drawing.

If the case is trimmed to 1.54(guessing based on your pic) and you want at least as much bullet in the case as is equall to its diameter (old rule of thumb), and you want to max your length out to fit you magazine of maybe 2.35.

Then your bullet will need to be 2.35-1.54+.224 in length (I think I did that right)
Bullet must be 1.034 in length if it is a flat based bullet, longer if it has a boat tail. That length will allow at least .224 of the neck to grip the bullet.

If this hits the lands, you can use smaller bullet or seat the bullet deeper.

The Hornady 75 grain BTHP match bullets that I have, measure roughly .86 from the tip back to where the boat tail starts to taper. So, they would be too short.

Start with the 90 grain stuff and see what happens.

If your mags will only accommodate a COAL of 2.26, then you would need a bullet .944 in length to max out the mag and still have .224 of neck gripping the bullet.

1006, good advice, and it makes sense. The caliber is a .224 Grendel ( a 6.5 Grendel necked down to a .224 ) in an AR15 ,same as the .224 Predator

Jud, just ordered some and will do just that. Semper Fi!

I think someone owes you a new barrel, i dont know why it would have that much free bore knowing you will be using ar15 mags. you CAN try to use the 6.8spc mags...i think you can load out a little further on the OAL. BTW that 20 prac still drives tacks. lol

Back
Top Bottom