Need local machine shop

rlmblm21

Default rank <1250 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
13   0
Reaction score
I need a remanufactured head for a VW Jetta 2.0 gas motor (2002 year). Would like a local area (close to Woodstock or north ATL), but willing to drive some for the right price and quality.

I know very little about mechanic-ing so keep it simple for me please. Just need some advice from some of you that are more connected to the auto parts and work around this area.

To give some more details, we (emphasis on the "not me" part) found no compression in cylinder 3 (of 4), so then took the head off to discover a broken valve. Figured we should just go ahead and trade this one in and buy a clean re-manned one instead of trying to have this one rebuilt. Found one for $250 but pretty far away (south of ATL).

Help?

I've used Dover cylinder head off Sullivan Road (south side near the airport), but you might try the Cylinder Head Exchange in Marietta.

I moved here in 2003. The only machine shop I have done business with in Ga is http://www.scottsautomachine.com/. I had them go through a set of heads on an 02 liberty. Paid more than I planned on. (1100 for the pair) They did good work and seemed very knowledgeable.

Yeah they are south of the airport. Check the prices on line. The $250 for a reman sounds like a bargain.

Thanks to all. Yes, it was actually Dover (mentioned earlier) that quoted me $250 for a remanned. I thought it was a decent price too.

I have now located a shop here on the north side (Acworth Engine and Machine LLC), and talked to the owner (Tony). He recommends rebuilding my factory head, and has given me a quote to work my own, including replacing the exhaust valves for around the same price of$250 (give or take). He will pressure test, machine down the head (because it's aluminum, he said), and polish/clean it all up for that price. I'm thinking having a person spend time specifically on my head might even be better than buying a remanned that was just stamped out of some assembly line somewhere by the interwebz folks.

I don't know much about this sort of thing, but I got a good feel from talking to him, and I think I'm going to try him out. He is close to me and I think his price is very reasonable.

I moved here in 2003. The only machine shop I have done business with in Ga is http://www.scottsautomachine.com/. I had them go through a set of heads on an 02 liberty. Paid more than I planned on. (1100 for the pair) They did good work and seemed very knowledgeable.

Yeah they are south of the airport. Check the prices on line. The $250 for a reman sounds like a bargain.
Scotts has been there nearly 30 years, if not more and for a reason. He does excellent work. We've built several (5-6) engines and he's done the work on all of them. We've never gotten a part back that was out of spec before assembly. I wouldnt go anywhere else in the area. Just remember, you get what you pay for. Scotts may cost a little more but you're getting a premium product in the end.

Dover
Been using them for over 20 years. Had 2 issues with them. 1 was my fault, 1 was theirs....they fixed both at no cost to me. They can rebuild your head cheaper, but will sell you a previously rebuilt head as well. Generally have 2 to 3 day turn around. Ask for Brad or Jessie.

Back
Top Bottom