• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need motivation

Another milestone. The timing cover is off. Yay! They sure do make it not fun to work on these engines. Next is align timing, lock down the cams and remove the chain. Then I can clean gasket surfaces, replace the water pump, replace chain and tensioners with new ones, and begin the process of putting it all together. It’s going to be hard putting the cover back on and not smear sealant resulting in a leak.
You can make a gasket. But I don't know how that would work if you have any plastic covers

I think you’ve answered your own question, with all that is involved it makes myself want to work harder at the job that pays me so i can pay someone else to do the **** work.

As i get older this has become more and more my thought process.

Just jumping in here and seeing someone asking how to start a project in Oct that might take a weekend or more to complete and new posts on progress appear to be ongoing here in Dec.

I'll catch up, but even after just reading the first post and first reply I agree wholeheartedly with "The Southern Gentlemen" (TSG). Opportunity cost is as real as cash on the barrelhead IMHO.

EDIT - Also I have more than one project caught in the same limbo of "do I start, hire out, do part of it, or just nap etc." so I get the original sentiment.

Attachments

• TITW.jpg
    TITW.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 7
You can make a gasket. But I don't know how that would work if you have any plastic covers
I’ve made plenty of gaskets, but Ford used sealant so that’s what I’m going to go back with so I don’t create new issues. I have some Honda Ultra Flange sealant that works the best out of any out there. I just have to be really careful when I shoehorn it back in place.

I’ve made plenty of gaskets, but Ford used sealant so that’s what I’m going to go back with so I don’t create new issues. I have some Honda Ultra Flange sealant that works the best out of any out there. I just have to be really careful when I shoehorn it back in place.
Use black rtv. Just don’t ding it on the crank snout. Lol!

I've made a gasket and used #2 sealer. In most cases torque to 6 in lbs if I remember correctly. Never a problem.

Gotta love it. The timing chain kit I bought didn’t have the torque to yield bolts for the cam phasers. No one has them in stock, so parts coming from NAPA being delivered Friday.

All back together, started up and running good. The valve covers are plastic, very brittle and warped. I put it back together to make sure I did everything right, but I'm ordering new valve covers to avoid any leaks. It'll be back on the road this week, what a pita this job was. I'm still glad I did it and saved myself a wad of cash.

Back
Top Bottom