• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

(Need ODT Advice ) So, this is my yard…..

Thanks for all the advice. I’m looking all this over and trying to find the best course.

Some of the worst spots also look like they are in shadier areas around corners of fence or structure and with bermuda, there is no fix for that. The other bad spots look like typical high traffic spots.

Something else to consider is that bermuda is just now starting to come out in many places, not sure where you live but with plenty of water and sun, post more pics in a month.

Also, I fully agree with the guy above who said don't mow it too short. That's for golf courses and retired people who can mow daily and train the grass that low. That's not the best way to do residential once-a-week mowing. And don't bag the clippings, especially with that piss poor soil. The more clippings the better. Builders scrape out all the topsoil and sell it, then hard pack down the remaining clay, throw sod on it, and walk away. If you do want to start over, you will need to not just till, but likely plow it back and forth in zig zags over and over and over to break up all the hard pack. It's a bitch. Then you will actually be able to till in the amendments. Then sod. But even then, those shady spots will still suffer with bermuda.
I‘m definitely going to do a soil sample next week. Also have an aeration scheduled. Nothing I can do about the shade.

I‘ve mowed it short and always bagged clippings because with all the rain it washes the thatch into low spots where it collects and blocks the sun = more dead grass. Guessing I’ll start with more watering and letting it grow longer.

Back
Top Bottom