• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

(Need ODT Advice ) So, this is my yard…..

I had the same issue at my last house. Definitely get a soil sample, then aerate and seed. I recommend Zoysia, as it's is one of the most beautiful grass options in Georgia. It's thick, weed resistant and holds up well in warm-hot seasons. Upscale places/ neighborhoods that have landscaping typically have Zoysia growing.

Whatever you choose, pair it with Fescue. Fescue takes over in colder seasons and protects the soil while Summer grass is dormant.

For weeds, use Southern Ag Amine 2,4-D Weed Killer. It's highly effective on GA soil. Or Compare-N-Save 75324 Herbicide is what commercial landscapers here use.

Hope that helps.

Soli test first , then I would till it and add good top soil then Sod it.

bermuda should be hard to kill , fertilizer, water and sun, lots of sun
There are several kinds of Bermuda so ask a pro what kind likes hot dry soil. I imagine he will recommend common Bermuda but advances in grass are being discovered or cross bread every year so just ask anyway. Fescue will burn like paper if not watered on a strict schedual. Zoysia is another option but is expensive initially. It loves heat and sunlight. I would talk to a golf course greens keeper and know grass.

I would also consider aerating the yard very good. Then spread sand over the complete surface. Bermuda does well in sand and it keeps water in. Once bermuda takes hold it will choke out all the weeds. Those prickly broad leaf plants can come through but just simple hand tool de-weeding can take care of that.

You collect soil samples and take them to the ag ext office near you for analysis and specify what grasses you wish to grow?

They can tell you what you need to add to the soil to make that possible.
I hadn’t thought about that. Thanks.
Looks like it might be grubs from over here. Have you ever put down grub killer?
Nope.
Ya grubs are a possibility. Also, that ground looks haaaaard. When was the last time you aerated? May be time for some top soil and sod in the bad areas and aerate the **** out of the rest and seed and water.
Aerated each of the last 2 years in May. Coming again next week.
Soli test first , then I would till it and add good top soil then Sod it.

bermuda should be hard to kill , fertilizer, water and sun, lots of sun
’Should be’ I know. the fence is shading the right side of my yard, so that would explain that bare streak ,but the rest of it gets plenty of sun this time of year.
I had the same issue at my last house. Definitely get a soil sample, then aerate and seed. I recommend Zoysia, as it's is one of the most beautiful grass options in Georgia. It's thick, weed resistant and holds up well in warm-hot seasons. Upscale places/ neighborhoods that have landscaping typically have Zoysia growing.

Whatever you choose, pair it with Fescue. Fescue takes over in colder seasons and protects the soil while Summer grass is dormant.

For weeds, use Southern Ag Amine 2,4-D Weed Killer. It's highly effective on GA soil. Or Compare-N-Save 75324 Herbicide is what commercial landscapers here use.

Hope that helps.
I was sort of leaning this way, but that sounds like a massive pain in the ass. What should i do - split the seed 50/50 initially or overseed in the fall with Fescue?

Yea this was my thought as well for at least a few of those spots, but definitely seems to be some more going on too
Yeah, my dogs don’t make that much pee. They leave brown spots but those clear up in a day or 2 usually.

Back
Top Bottom