• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need Reloading Help in Midland

Good thread - similar problems on my 1x fired 6.5 CM loads, cleaned, sized / decap, checked length - all were in spec, loaded 25 and then plunked into my Hornady gauge and more than half did not drop in like they should.

Yes, my sizing die wasn't fully seated to ensure full brass sizing, didn't know about the small base dies. So much to learn but I have made some good hunting rounds and thankful that I bought a bullet puller and read this forum every day.

Off to pull and dump, resize, trim as needed and reset...

So, changed out my Hornady LnL, adjusted the sizing die, took out the decapper, lubed up the 40 remaining brass and ran them through twice. With Hornady spray lube this time, all of them dropped like new brass. Saving the fun of pulling the 25 that are loaded tomorrow. All micr'd at 1.910 - 1.913, which is less than the 1.920 spec, but also a lot closer to the trim length in all my manuals

Great stuff here for a new loader / reloader, pay attention and learn some thing.

PS - for anyone on this thread that needs 500 Berrys 220 gr for a 300 BO let me know and they are yours if you are in driving distance (Macon to Alpharetta). My mistake could be a good deal

why not just remove the decapping pin and run those loaded rounds thru the die to bump the shoulder?

i know, sounds bad, but i see no real risk in it.

I’ve done it before on about 20 that i had messed up and it worked perfectly. Pulling 300 is a lot of work if all they need is a shoulder bump.

why not just remove the decapping pin and run those loaded rounds thru the die to bump the shoulder?

i know, sounds bad, but i see no real risk in it.

I’ve done it before on about 20 that i had messed up and it worked perfectly. Pulling 300 is a lot of work if all they need is a shoulder bump.
I can not be certain that I understand the statement. You may or may not be suggesting resizing a loaded cartridge. If someone did force a loaded cartridge into a sizing die without the decapping rod installed, it would crush/swag the bullet diameter down to less than the bullet’s intended diameter, and severely over crimp it.

Sizing dies actually size case necks to smaller than desired dimensions and depend on brass to “spring back” as the case is withdrawn from the die. Rifle dies use the decapping pin’s neck expander to insure that the neck gets expanded to the correct inside diameter as the decapping pin is withdrawn from the case on the up stroke. First it squeezes it down a little more than needed, then it expands it to a set inside diameter. Since the “spring back factor” varies depending on actual alloy, hardness, and thickness, this is the only way to make all of the inside diameters the same.

Lastly: jamming a loaded round into a steel device shaped like a barrels chamber (size die) would allow it to develop the same force it develops when fired from a gun, if it were to go off.

Like I said: I may have misunderstood your post, in that case, my long winded dissertation is for anyone else who may have misunderstood it.

No, i meant it as stated. It’s not going to go off. No different than running it thru a final crimp station. It’s primed and fully loaded at that point as well.

If you are not comfortable doing it and want to pull down 300 rounds, that’s on you. But i bet you could barely bump them and they’d work. Might not be precision ammo, but fine for plinking if you can get them to chamber.

It is different, with the bullet installed…..I do not know if there is enough lube in the universe to prevent the case from being stuck in a rifle sizing die with a bullet installed.

maybe I am still misunderstanding something here.

Before attempting to reload I suggest investing in Hornady die sets. The have a tapered seating die and helps locate the projectile in the proper position. That and adding a micrometer meter on the seating die. Makes adjusting on the fly a snap. Since I made the switch from the crappy lee dies my reloading has been so much easier all the way around. Just my two cents worth. Just some general info for those new to reloading.

Back
Top Bottom