• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need Scope Mounting

Even with proper torque, I’ve seen rings damage a scope tube because they need to be lapped.

Even when you buy high quality components, you can run into tolerance stacking. Lapping takes care of that, as well as fixing issues caused by other reasons.

Even with proper torque, I’ve seen rings damage a scope tube because they need to be lapped.

Even when you buy high quality components, you can run into tolerance stacking. Lapping takes care of that, as well as fixing issues caused by other reasons.

Would you lap matched rings like the vortex, seekins, or badger? How do you check receiver holes for trueness? Same goes for a scope rail like badger? Do you run into issues with an AR receiver trueness?

Yay. Scope lapping debate on the horizon...

Just get a precision 1-piece mount and don't worry about it. There is the short and simple answer. No need to worry about tolerance attacking on the receiver + the rail + the rings with a quality mount (no - a Burris PEPR or Aero Ultralite ,IE - ultra-flimsy, is not quality).

Just get a precision 1-piece mount and don't worry about it. There is the short and simple answer. No need to worry about tolerance attacking on the receiver + the rail + the rings with a quality mount (no - a Burris PEPR or Aero Ultralite ,IE - ultra-flimsy, is not quality).

Imma bout to lap me some quality rings. And I didnt know the burris pepr mount wasnt quality. I saw the aero mount break at a comp at that weird hinge point. So i was aware of that issue.

Would you lap matched rings like the vortex, seekins, or badger? How do you check receiver holes for trueness? Same goes for a scope rail like badger? Do you run into issues with an AR receiver trueness?

I give everything a test lap, then check to see how much bearing surface there is. Alternately, I’ll use alignment bars to check for alignment.

I don’t lap aluminum rings, unless they just need a corner knocked off, or just need lightly lapped. I don’t want to cut through the anodizing in large areas. If I have a set of aluminum rings and they need lapped quite a bit, I’ll mix and match parts until I get a combo that works together.

Matched rings on a crooked base won’t be “matched” anymore.

Using alignment bars, or doing a light test lap, will let you know if you need to lap.

Lapping is cheap insurance. If done properly, you won’t damage anything. Worst case scenario is that you wasted a little time.

That is also an option, depending on the setup you’re trying to run.

Quality 1-piece mounts like the NF, Scalarworks, BO, Spuhr, etc., are outstandingly well-made and I’ve never seen one yet that would benefit from lapping. Cake n’ pie.

On many bolt actions, 1-piece mounts aren’t an option.

That is also an option, depending on the setup you’re trying to run.

Quality 1-piece mounts like the NF, Scalarworks, BO, Spuhr, etc., are outstandingly well-made and I’ve never seen one yet that would benefit from lapping. Cake n’ pie.

On many bolt actions, 1-piece mounts aren’t an option.
There are absolutely options on bolt actions. Warne Skyline, Spuhr, MPA, Audere, MDT, ARC, Hawkins, Griffin Armament and a few others I'm forgetting to mention make excellent mounts for bolt guns with low clearance needs. Just have to look for em and know they exist. Granted, you aren't getting anything for $40, but can't say I'd ever buy some Chinese $40 mount anyways. I'd assume those exist as well.

Also, people need to get over the thought that the scope needs to be as close to the barrel as possible.

There are absolutely options on bolt actions. Warne Skyline, Spuhr, MPA, Audere, MDT, ARC, Hawkins, Griffin Armament and a few others I'm forgetting to mention make excellent mounts for bolt guns with low clearance needs. Just have to look for em and know they exist. Granted, you aren't getting anything for $40, but can't say I'd ever buy some Chinese $40 mount anyways. I'd assume those exist as well.

Also, people need to get over the thought that the scope needs to be as close to the barrel as possible.

I didn’t say there weren’t options for all bolt actions. I said there weren’t options for many, like the Remington 788.

Additionally, it can be difficult when pairing a 1-piece mount on a short action rifle, when the scope design itself limits where the scope sits in the mount. Not all stock have adjustable LOP and I’ve seen 1-piece mounts that won’t allow proper eye relief with the scope at hand.

I like my scopes mounted low. Been doing it that for over 30 years, it’s always worked for ME, and I see no reason to change it just to use a different type of mount. For rifles with no adjustable cheek piece, scope height over bore is critical to being able to shoot accurately.

Back
Top Bottom