• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need trout fishing advice

There's a place that rents canoes right in the park on azalea drive

Just go upstream. Cause after a day of fishing and you're tired you're not ginna want to be paddling against the current to get back

I went and tried fishing at 400 bridge for a couple of hours today. I tried corn, salmon eggs, and rooster tails and had zero bites. Also tried Vickery Creek with no luck. I know it's called fishing, not catching, but I figured I would have at least had a bite. Anyone want to go fishing with me, maybe I'm doing it wrong?

I went and tried fishing at 400 bridge for a couple of hours today. I tried corn, salmon eggs, and rooster tails and had zero bites. Also tried Vickery Creek with no luck. I know it's called fishing, not catching, but I figured I would have at least had a bite. Anyone want to go fishing with me, maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Fishing for trout in still or slow water doesn't work much...sometimes in a deep hole maybe but you'll get your best bites in an eddy behind a rock in the rapids.

float the hooch and fish the blowdowns,or wait for the EBT truck to dump em in the river.Hope thats ok, EBT(every bodys trout)

I didn't realize they had trout in Vickery?
What color was the water? Were they generating? If the water is very stained or the level is up due to generating it's a whole other (VERY difficult) game.

I got you covered! :D

I'm not much of a trout fisherman but I can tell you what I know. I've never fished above Morgan Falls dam but below the dam it is very easy to catch some small to medium size Rainbow Trout.

Get you a Shakespeare Micro-Spin Ultra Lightweight rod/reel combo from Walmart or wherever, and get some 1/16th oz "Rainbow Fry" rooster tails. Wal-mart may have them but I usually have to go to bass pro to get them. (Black works too but rainbow fry is the **** ) I'd also recommend getting some small split rings and #8 mosquito hooks and use them in place of the small trebles, but both will catch fish.

Then go down to the Chattahoochee park off 41, and go here where I circled the river: :D

Capture.jpg

Just walk out as far as you can and cast into the current. Reel the whole time just fast enough to feel the spinner spinning on the rooster tail and it is gradually drifting down stream a little bit. As long as the water isn't muddy you will catch some rainbows. My best day was 18 in a couple of hours.

I know you said you live in Roswell but maybe you can visit this spot and build up some confidence in your tactics and gear. Fishing is a lot more fun when you know for a fact that what you are doing can catch fish.

Here is the Rainbow Fry rooster tail:

download.jpg

If you go to that spot be sure to bring you a "normal sized" rod and a couple white flukes on jigheads and make a few casts, very good chance you could get a good size striper while you're out there, the hooch is full of them. One of my best striper fishing days ever came in that general area.

Is there a boat ramp at the park?

At the one I referred to? Yes, there is a nice one for loading/unloading kayaks/canoes. If you have a boat on a trailer you have to back out about halfway across the river before it gets deep enough to launch it.

A great float trip is from the Cochran Shoals/285 park to this one. I haven't been in a while but we used to float it a couple times a week after work.

Back
Top Bottom