• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need trout fishing advice

At the one I referred to? Yes, there is a nice one for loading/unloading kayaks/canoes. If you have a boat on a trailer you have to back out about halfway across the river before it gets deep enough to launch it.

A great float trip is from the Cochran Shoals/285 park to this one. I haven't been in a while but we used to float it a couple times a week after work.

I got that coleman scanoe with the flat back on it.Fishes pretty good.Only had it in up around 141 and jones bridge though

If you go to the park just south of the river on 141 and walk up river you will find several good holes and rapids. I have seen fish caught off of spinners, corn and worms!
Catch a big one!

I didn't realize they had trout in Vickery?
What color was the water? Were they generating? If the water is very stained or the level is up due to generating it's a whole other (VERY difficult) game.

I assumed there were trout in it since it runs into the river. Water color in the river was somewhat clear, pretty strong current.

I live up here in trout country and have caught my faire share over the years. I always tell people "If you want to fish for trout, nothing beats fly fishing!" ..."But if you want to CATCH trout, nothing beats a can of worms, a small hook and a sinker."

X2. I will stand there for hours fly fishing to get maybe 2 little ones. As I was leaving I saw these kids with a stringer full of eater size bows. I was stunned. Worms man. Worms are the way.

It's very simple. Go buy a few of these http://rapalaworld.com/products/original-floater. Get the smallest sizes they have (F03 or F05) ideally in the brown trout color. Since you aren't going to eat them, use pliers to mash down the barbs on the hooks to reduce the chance of killing the fish (and facilitate getting them unhooked). Also buy a few of these http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/s...LA_011181922&gclid=CJmE8t2d7bwCFVRo7AodrU4AVw again, smaller, in whatever color strikes your fancy. Same thing on the hooks.
Use light line ideally on an ultra light rig.
Have fun.

best advice ever right here. if you arent planning on keeping the trout, mash down the barbs on your hooks please! it is sooooo easy to kill a trout unhooking it its not even funny.

Barnwell rd always lots of stocker rainbows in this section.... ultra light gear 4# to 6# line...1/16th to 1/32nd black and gold panther martins.. cast slightly upstream do not reel just keep the line tight and let it drift let the current turn the blade, more often then not at the end of the drift you will feel the tap tap set the hook quick..

Last edited:
I got you covered! :D

I'm not much of a trout fisherman but I can tell you what I know. I've never fished above Morgan Falls dam but below the dam it is very easy to catch some small to medium size Rainbow Trout.

Get you a Shakespeare Micro-Spin Ultra Lightweight rod/reel combo from Walmart or wherever, and get some 1/16th oz "Rainbow Fry" rooster tails. Wal-mart may have them but I usually have to go to bass pro to get them. (Black works too but rainbow fry is the **** ) I'd also recommend getting some small split rings and #8 mosquito hooks and use them in place of the small trebles, but both will catch fish.

Then go down to the Chattahoochee park off 41, and go here where I circled the river: :D

View attachment 268046

Just walk out as far as you can and cast into the current. Reel the whole time just fast enough to feel the spinner spinning on the rooster tail and it is gradually drifting down stream a little bit. As long as the water isn't muddy you will catch some rainbows. My best day was 18 in a couple of hours.

I know you said you live in Roswell but maybe you can visit this spot and build up some confidence in your tactics and gear. Fishing is a lot more fun when you know for a fact that what you are doing can catch fish.

Here is the Rainbow Fry rooster tail:

View attachment 268051

I tried this spot for a couple of hours today. I got nothing. Not even a single bite.

Back
Top Bottom