• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need trout fishing advice

Braided 20lb- 6lb diameter

Are you using a leader with it? You probably won't have much success if you're using just braid, and honestly its a little overkill for what you're doing. I use that same braid on my striper rods for 20+ lb fish.

Are you using a leader with it? You probably won't have much success if you're using just braid, and honestly its a little overkill for what you're doing. I use that same braid on my striper rods for 20+ lb fish.

Nope, no leader. I was using my bass rod. I don't currently own an ultralight rig and couldn't find one at walmart. I ordered an ultralight setup today. I understand 20lb braid is a bit overkill for trout, but I don't see why it would keep me from catching anything.

Nope, no leader. I was using my bass rod. I don't currently own an ultralight rig and couldn't find one at walmart. I ordered an ultralight setup today. I understand 20lb braid is a bit overkill for trout, but I don't see why it would keep me from catching anything.

Dont know why but most trout just wont hit a heavy line. I don't know if it messes up the presentation, if they can see it, or if they can feel it when they bump the bait or exactly what the difference is but there is a big difference.

Dont know why but most trout just wont hit a heavy line. I don't know if it messes up the presentation, if they can see it, or if they can feel it when they bump the bait or exactly what the difference is but there is a big difference.

I think they can see the braid. I wouldn't use anything larger than 6lb mono with a 1/16th rooster tail. I'd wait for the ultra light to come in but you could try tying on a 10-20 foot leader of 6lb test and see what happens.

Ultralight should be here by Wednesday. I'll probably wait til that gets here and give it another shot. Thanks for all the advice so far.

Back
Top Bottom