• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

+++New GA Ruling..+++

Well, I'm going to be a party pooper too, just like Ken.

Is this the pandering-while-accomplishing-nothing gun legislation we are going to get in Georgia this year? I hope not.

Firearms Freedom Act promises something politicians are not able to deliver

More importantly, the lawsuit draws money and attention away from real struggles for the right to bear arms that can actually make a difference.

The "Firearms Freedom Act" model legislation that is "sweeping the nation" is merely political grandstanding and promises something that none of the politicians supporting it are able to deliver.

The promise of the Firearms Freedom Act is that firearms manufactured entirely in one state would be free from federal regulation. The promise is merely illusory, as the legislation will make no difference in Montana or any other state that adopts it. The United States Supreme Court has already ruled that Congress has the power under the Commerce Clause to regulate firearms manufactured in one state.

This leaves some wondering why politicians would pass such a law if they are not willing to enforce it. The answer is clear. Posturing. The Firearms Freedom Act is an easy way to claim support for the Second Amendment at election time without actually having to do anything real to support the Second Amendment. What is worrisome is that so many voters are buying what the politicians are selling.

Last edited:
This bill is likely to never make it to the floor for a vote. The vast majority of bills die in committee.

You do know that they post a schedule of committee hearings and any citizen can attend and testify before the committee in favor of the bill. The more public support the better the chance of moving for a vote.

Like many of you, I'm sure, I sent the following to my elected officials last week:

I am a law abiding citizen and a responsible gun owner. Like many others hanging on every word of the raging debate over gun control, I too have many concerns about the possibility of restrictions being placed upon our inalienable Second Amendment right. Some states in our great nation have provided outstanding examples for other state governments to follow. Missouri House Bill 170 and Wyoming House Bill 104 are the kinds of political measures that Georgia’s voting citizens want to see from their elected officials. These bills make unenforceable any federally enacted restrictions upon semi-automatic weapons and magazine capacity. What is being done locally to protect the rights of Georgians? I implore you and your office to create and support legislation in Georgia that is similar to that of Wyoming and Missouri.

I am your constituent and I vote. Please represent me.

Some of you will notice I borrowed parts of Ruger's form letter. Either way, you cannot imagine my excitement to see that someone is doing something about this. It's only a beginning! Write your elected officials and get them to support this!

You do know that they post a schedule of committee hearings and any citizen can attend and testify before the committee in favor of the bill. The more public support the better the chance of moving for a vote.

I do. Have never had a chance to go do so. Perhaps we should get a group to attend and testify.

Back
Top Bottom