• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New gun storage area for me!!

Jus
I've been wanting a dedicated, secure area to store my guns for years. I've had a decent safe for about 15 years but wanted a better protected place. Over the last couple of months we (lovely wife and myself) have been involved in a kitchen renovation at our home and I decided it was time to also do something in my basement for me. Nothing fancy but it will keep my firearms better protected.
View attachment 1769780 View attachment 1769781
View attachment 1769785 View attachment 1769787
Had the walls done in these pics (pics were made the day we finished laying the blocks) and the door set.
Walls are 8" block with rebar and filled with concrete. Overhead is 4" of concrete with rebar.
Edit: I forgot to give the dimensions....outside is 12'x8' inside is a bit smaller. 11'4" x 7'
Just run. Large dehumidifier constantly. Basements are humidity factories. Also use some kind of system inside the safe. It's really only a big problem with me during the hot humid days but I believe my floor stand dehumidifier with back up systems are more than adequate. If I were you I would ordering some Bore Stores Gun Sock for wood and blued steel guns. That silicone impregnation really works well.

I also take out my guns everyone and then and use a oil soaked rag to wipe down the steel and after cleaning I run a good oil soaked patch through the bore. You can never go overboard when protecting high dollar guns. Even on non chrome lined ARs run a heavy soaked oil patch through nthe bore.

Jus

Just run. Large dehumidifier constantly. Basements are humidity factories. Also use some kind of system inside the safe. It's really only a big problem with me during the hot humid days but I believe my floor stand dehumidifier with back up systems are more than adequate. If I were you I would ordering some Bore before putting it away.

Be sure to add a carbon monoxide detector and smoke alarm. You probably have a fairly decent fallout shelter.

If you can figure out how to purify air it'll be golden.

Back
Top Bottom