• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New project - 1970 Ford

Looking good. This stuff is pretty cool if you are going to leave the patina alone and like the look.

Nice truck! Make some good memories with it I remember fishing and camping in my granddad's white 6 cylinder like yours. Of course the truck wasn't that old in the late 70's early 80's.

Looks good !

Get the new valve stems installed .

Probabaly needs a new radiator
The tiny tubes inside get clogged up with minerals and old age .

Once you know the radiator is functioning the key to understanding overheating is this :
If it overheats while you’re driving , it’s a water flow problem . Lower rad hose collapsing , water pump lost some fins , t stat not opening all the way , etc

If it overheats sitting still , it’s an airflow problem , rad fins clogged with bugs , fan clutch slipping , fan shroud missing or not in the right location (shroud is very important ) and sometimes the hot air will recirculate back in front and get sucked back in the rad , in that case you install foam and rubber strips between the rad and the core support and on the bottom of the hood to prevent it .

And you got built in theft deterrent .
Only people with grey hair can drive a three speed on the Column.

There are plenty of online forums for bumpside fords , and there are Facebook groups for that kind of truck ,
I hate Facebook and am not on it but I have a fake name account so I can join some of the groups , they are very good for finding parts , especially parts not shared with other fords , like dash trim or whatever .

When you get time , find all the serial numbers on the engine block and heads and intake manifold etc

Just out of curiosity, would be cool to see if it’s the origional engine .
Ford doesn’t put the VIN on the engine like GM does but the numbers on the parts will tell when they were made , so you can do the math and if they were made about the same time or before your truck was built , they likely are origional.
If they were made months or years after , then you know they are not the one it came from the factory with .

Picked this beauty up earlier today.

1970 F100. Believe it’s all original, 302. In good condition for it’s age. Haven’t had much time with it, but that will change. Was running when parked years ago.

Priorities will be new tires, battery, etc. Camper shell will go ASAP.

What do y’all think? Any tips? This is my first carbureted truck project, learning as we speak. Also first time driving a column shift.

-Broke college kidView attachment 4467902View attachment 4467903View attachment 4467904View attachment 4467913
Join FB group 67-72 Fix Em Your Way.
A friend , Tommy Whaley , started this group. He knows all things dent side Ford and is an honest, dang good guy.

Update.

Got her cleaned up. Soap and water so far. Washed windows, cleaned out air box, tidied up the engine bay a little. Lubed everything up that I could.

Had a great experience with Discount Tire. Ordered tires yesterday, arrived today before 11, and I had my tires before noon. Best price around town too. Only complaint was that they didn’t install new valve stems, but I’m sure they’ll take care of it - not a problem right now. Went with 235 General Grabbers, $560 installed for 4. Back brakes looked fine, cleaned em up and threw tires back on. Topped off brake fluid.

Went for first ride. Drove and shifted fine, temp stayed cool at first, and oil pressure was decent. Wanted to see her move before I really start digging into it. As soon as I got home, radiator started sizzling, temp started rising. Maybe the thermstat?

Also dropped that old camper shell thing. She’s purty now. Battery has been iffy, will leave her on the tender tonight, and see if she’s charged tomorrow. Will be digging into it the next few days. Parts will be on the way ASAP.

View attachment 4477124View attachment 4477128View attachment 4477129
Sure cleaned up good.

Id drive it all day like that ;)

Looks good !

Get the new valve stems installed .

Probabaly needs a new radiator
The tiny tubes inside get clogged up with minerals and old age .

Once you know the radiator is functioning the key to understanding overheating is this :
If it overheats while you’re driving , it’s a water flow problem . Lower rad hose collapsing , water pump lost some fins , t stat not opening all the way , etc

If it overheats sitting still , it’s an airflow problem , rad fins clogged with bugs , fan clutch slipping , fan shroud missing or not in the right location (shroud is very important ) and sometimes the hot air will recirculate back in front and get sucked back in the rad , in that case you install foam and rubber strips between the rad and the core support and on the bottom of the hood to prevent it .

And you got built in theft deterrent .
Only people with grey hair can drive a three speed on the Column.

There are plenty of online forums for bumpside fords , and there are Facebook groups for that kind of truck ,
I hate Facebook and am not on it but I have a fake name account so I can join some of the groups , they are very good for finding parts , especially parts not shared with other fords , like dash trim or whatever .

When you get time , find all the serial numbers on the engine block and heads and intake manifold etc

Just out of curiosity, would be cool to see if it’s the origional engine .
Ford doesn’t put the VIN on the engine like GM does but the numbers on the parts will tell when they were made , so you can do the math and if they were made about the same time or before your truck was built , they likely are origional.
If they were made months or years after , then you know they are not the one it came from the factory with .
Thanks. Great info here.

Going to start with radiator, and t stat. It’s nice having a big open engine bay! Enough room to sit on the fender and wrench.

Thanks. Great info here.

Going to start with radiator, and t stat. It’s nice having a big open engine bay! Enough room to sit on the fender and wrench.
Marietta radiator on Glover street is a good place to get rads
They do a lot or wholesale stuff and don’t advertise , they also have a shop and everyone I’ve ever been there they are installing AC on a cool street Rod or restomod .

I installed vintage air AC on my 76 chevy Stepside and it’s wonderful to have cold ac .

I recently revived a 82 F150 that had been sitting for 18 years .
I replaced all the belts and hoses , master cylinder , and flex lines and calipers , and had to replace the gas tank and all the lines

Once you get it running and start driving it , everything that’s rubber will start splitting and leaking .

Back
Top Bottom