• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NEW STAR WARS TRAILER

25. With the exception of The Terminator, just not too many fantasy films I can get into.
I guess I could see that then. Different times. I was a child when the first Star Wars hit the theaters and it was ground breaking. It managed to be entertaining without the over the top sensationalism that seems to be a base requirement today. I suppose if the original was released for the first time today with no changes, it would likely be a cult classic at best.

I am so pumped to see it. December 18th cannot come soon enough. Although I highly doubt I'll get a chance to go see it on opening day. It will be just too crowded.

Let's not forget how excited everyone was when the trailer for episode 1 was released. The trailer made the movie look excellent and everyone was just as excited as today. We know how big of a bust that was...
"Missa don't thinkin yousa likein da brilliance da was Jar-Jar."

I guess I could see that then. Different times. I was a child when the first Star Wars hit the theaters and it was ground breaking. It managed to be entertaining without the over the top sensationalism that seems to be a base requirement today. I suppose if the original was released for the first time today with no changes, it would likely be a cult classic at best.

Absolutely agree. I was 16 when it first came out. I saw it on a 70mm screen (which I think back then was state of the art) and it blew everyone I knew away - even veteran movie goers. It didn't matter whether you liked the story or not, in a 70mm format, if nothing else, technically there was like nothing else before it I think Close Encounters of the Third Kind was about the same time and was also considered a technical breakthrough, but didn't get the same reaction as Star Wars. And Williams' soundtrack even made the music charts - bumping out some of the horrific disco music of that time (thank God).

It was quite a phenomenon back then for reasons that younger folks don't understand. I cooled my jets on Star Wars interest long ago, but it is interesting to see how many different generations have been pulled into the series at one time or another since the mid 70's. It's impressive.

Rob Conery had a really good observation on Luke

"Luke Turned

I've had this argument with friends so many times. Some think as I do; others remain convinced that Luke ended the original trilogy as a good guy.

I say he, in fact, had turned to the dark side and we watched it happen in blissful ignorance, choosing to believe that he would always be the good guy. Lucas wanted it this way so he could sell more toys. But there's way more to this story.

Seeing these previews I think my theory might be correct: Luke gave in to the dark side to save his friends and defeat Vader and the emperor. We don't know what will happen after that, and hopefully we'll find out in December and we'll see if I'm right.

Here are my arguments, in no particular order...

"The Cave... Remember Your Failure at the Cave..."

Yoda knew the whole time that Luke was on the same path as his Anakin. He was reluctant to train him and said flatly that Luke would give in to the dark side if he left Dagobah to save his friends. The most striking part of this whole sequence (Luke's training with Yoda) is the cave.

Many people (my friends included) put it off as foreshadowing Luke's discovery that Vader is his father. I think it's foreshadowing that Luke will become his father. Of course, you don't know Vader's his dad at this point -- but at the end of the film, when I thought back to the cave... it made perfect sense. It's good, solid plot juice. Becoming your parents (or trying not to) is a huge motivator.

And Luke failed, according to Yoda. More than that -- Yoda issued this warning which Luke completely ignored:

Only a fully trained Jedi Knight, with the Force as his ally, will conquer Vader and his emperor. If you end your training now... if you choose the quick and easy path as Vader did... you will become an agent of evil.

There it is: Yoda said it point blank. How many times has Yoda been wrong in the first six films? It's almost like he can see the future sometimes! He knew Luke was on a path to become his father and, by leaving, he failed at preventing it.

Told you I did, reckless is he... now... matters are worse.

This is the start of Luke's slide."

Pretty interesting, and kind of what I thought from the beginning since the last two trailers have been released.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom