• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New to Reloading, How do I find Components?

I've reloaded many years. have had dillons but I don't think that's the right press for a beginner. I think you need to learn the process, make mistakes etc. You need to know the feel of a primer that's right & one that's wrong. I am not knocking the dillon, it's a great press and really spits out loaded ammo. But YOU need to be at a higher skill level so you don't have hundreds of mistakes versus just a few.
I don’t see anything wrong with starting on a Dillon. I started on a progressive, as well as many friends.

as far as brass goes, just pick it up when ever you go shooting, and offer to pick others up if you can keep it. I’ve gotten a lot that way. Bullets, RMR for 9mm and other pistol, and Hornady bulk picks for 223. Powder isn’t bad. Just check every other day online. Primers aren’t too bad if you aren’t brand specific online. Just be diligent and you can grab them over a week or two. For primers you can average 45 per K shipped if you snag 5-15k at a time. Just don’t be scared to buy 1k at a time and suck up the hazmat fee. Really you’re only increasing your reloading CPR maybe 4 cents paying $75 for shipping and haz on 1k primers, which isn’t that bad considering.

I don’t see anything wrong with starting on a Dillon. I started on a progressive, as well as many friends.

as far as brass goes, just pick it up when ever you go shooting, and offer to pick others up if you can keep it. I’ve gotten a lot that way. Bullets, RMR for 9mm and other pistol, and Hornady bulk picks for 223. Powder isn’t bad. Just check every other day online. Primers aren’t too bad if you aren’t brand specific online. Just be diligent and you can grab them over a week or two. For primers you can average 45 per K shipped if you snag 5-15k at a time. Just don’t be scared to buy 1k at a time and suck up the hazmat fee. Really you’re only increasing your reloading CPR maybe 4 cents paying $75 for shipping and haz on 1k primers, which isn’t that bad considering.

I check online for small pistol primers fairly regularly and haven’t seen any

I’m not going to pull up all of the 5 orders but here are 2. There are restocks. You can still get it online pretty frequently, albeit the “one limit per household” kills it. Please see different order numbers.
I check online for small pistol primers fairly regularly and haven’t seen any

Attachments

• D329B245-50A6-4FD7-A6BF-8E7CFFA419FC.jpeg
    D329B245-50A6-4FD7-A6BF-8E7CFFA419FC.jpeg
    34.3 KB · Views: 54
  • C8171F13-B130-4C5E-9F24-9148F361302A.jpeg
    C8171F13-B130-4C5E-9F24-9148F361302A.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 49
I’m not going to pull up all of the 5 orders but here are 2. There are restocks. You can still get it online pretty frequently, albeit the “one limit per household” kills it. Please see different order numbers.

Damn, I just have had ZERO luck online or in any local stores. Even with that hazmat fee you are still well ahead of any GunBroker.com pricing

Damn, I just have had ZERO luck online or in any local stores. Even with that hazmat fee you are still well ahead of any GunBroker.com pricing
That was the worst buys..... normally I can get 5-10k and spread the haz cost. Last 2 weeks has been a little rough, but I’m not complaining.

Attachments

• B0E5A49A-26E0-4948-9285-893AA58E5613.png
    B0E5A49A-26E0-4948-9285-893AA58E5613.png
    186.7 KB · Views: 46
Back
Top Bottom