New to reloading

dustinfields

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
9   0
Reaction score
So I'm thinking about reloading my own ammo, I know everything I need to get but I'm wondering what is the best pistol powder to use and the best primers and such any help is appreciated or advice I'm just getting into this

Not knowing what calibers you are reloading makes that a bit difficult as some powders are better for certain calibers than others. Universal is a good for multiple pistol calibers and is very flexible for different calibers and bullet weights. Make sure you get the correct Universal, as Hodgdon has another product thats similar.
Ive tried CCI, Federal, Winchester, Sellier and Bellot, and even some tula brand primers and rarely have a dud or a problem with any of them. My favorite all around would be the CCI.

Get a good digital scale that comes with a test weight, and make sure you dont double charge a case. 38 special has a huge case that leaves plenty of room for that. Good Luck!

www.sportsmanswarehouse.com_img_products_original_303903_1.jpg

Not knowing what calibers you are reloading makes that a bit difficult as some powders are better for certain calibers than others. Universal is a good for multiple pistol calibers and is very flexible for different calibers and bullet weights. Make sure you get the correct Universal, as Hodgdon has another product thats similar.
Ive tried CCI, Federal, Winchester, Sellier and Bellot, and even some tula brand primers and rarely have a dud or a problem with any of them. My favorite all around would be the CCI.

Get a good digital scale that comes with a test weight, and make sure you dont double charge a case. 38 special has a huge case that leaves plenty of room for that. Good Luck!

www.sportsmanswarehouse.com_img_products_original_303903_1.jpg
Thank you for that sorry for not putting calibers but right now it looks like it might be 9mm and 7.62 tok ammo, I'll look at universal powder tomorrow it might be my best bet starting out

I've only used CCI primers, they seem to be the standard. Used to use Winchester 231 for .45ACP. But one of the great things about reloading is finding out whats the best components to use for your specific application. They are called recipes and aptly so, its like cooking a dish. You could use vegetable oil for everything but if a recipe calls for olive oil its best to use olive oil. Loading subsonic 9mm will be different than loading match target 9mm rounds.

Get a manual and read it.....more than once. Any pistol powder made by Alliant is a good choice- Bullseye, Unique, Herco, the "Dots" etc. All good stuff.
Got a manual in the mail I wouldn't dare try without one, watched too many bad reload videos to try anything without knowing what I was doing

Got a manual in the mail I wouldn't dare try without one, watched too many bad reload videos to try anything without knowing what I was doing

I will also say to not rely on internet for recipes/data or the be all end all of the reloading hobby. There is a lot of bad intel out there on the web, and surprisingly enough there are some dumb "gun folks" out there that will get you hurt.

I've only used CCI primers, they seem to be the standard. Used to use Winchester 231 for .45ACP. But one of the great things about reloading is finding out whats the best components to use for your specific application. They are called recipes and aptly so, its like cooking a dish. You could use vegetable oil for everything but if a recipe calls for olive oil its best to use olive oil. Loading subsonic 9mm will be different than loading match target 9mm rounds.
Yes sir from what I've been reading you have to take everything into account even the type of guns you use, I'm gonna reload to feed my shooter grade luger and a couple other guns so hopefully I can find some good reload data on that, haven't tried anything yet waiting on my loader to get here but I'm excited to learn more about it and to know how to reload my own ammo

I will also say to not rely on internet for recipes/data or the be all end all of the reloading hobby. There is a lot of bad intel out there on the web, and surprisingly enough there are some dumb "gun folks" out there that will get you hurt.
I understand that the farthest on the internet I might go is wartime reload data but even then I hope to find a manual on it haha

Back
Top Bottom