Night shooting and tonight at the range.

By the time I got off work tonight it was dark. I drove about 20-30 mins to the range anyway and it wasn't until I fired the first shot I realized how little I had ever fired in the dark. I was not in complete darkness. I parked my jeep with the lights shining on the targets. The targets were a 6" plate rack and 3 1/2" plates. I began shooting at 25 yards because I wanted to see how my shooting with my Glock 17 and 19 compared to my shooting earlier in the week with my S&W 3" Model 65 and 2" Model 60. I shot at 25 and then moved up to between 7-10 yards. I have to say I was sort of surprised. I shot the 65 better at 25 than the others. I probably shot the 60 and then the 17 and then the 19 in that order. I am sure the darkness played a factor even though my surroundings appeared to be fairly well lit and both guns had night sights. At 7-10 yards I found that I need to slow down. I found that I was trying to move to the next target before the first one fell. While this may be good for competition I'm not there yet. I found I was missing the first one because I was trying to move to the next. I also found that if I load only one round my first shots were more accurate. Of course on the way home I found myself wondering that since I shoot a revolver well and always have if maybe I should try an olive spring and this would slow me down. I shoot my 65 the best but find myself carrying the 19 due to weight and capacity. The weight more than anything. I am sure I may find different results in the daylight but found shooting at night interesting and challenging.

Its more fun when you don't have to use any lights :boink::)

By the time I got off work tonight it was dark. I drove about 20-30 mins to the range anyway and it wasn't until I fired the first shot I realized how little I had ever fired in the dark. I was not in complete darkness. I parked my jeep with the lights shining on the targets. The targets were a 6" plate rack and 3 1/2" plates. I began shooting at 25 yards because I wanted to see how my shooting with my Glock 17 and 19 compared to my shooting earlier in the week with my S&W 3" Model 65 and 2" Model 60. I shot at 25 and then moved up to between 7-10 yards. I have to say I was sort of surprised. I shot the 65 better at 25 than the others. I probably shot the 60 and then the 17 and then the 19 in that order. I am sure the darkness played a factor even though my surroundings appeared to be fairly well lit and both guns had night sights. At 7-10 yards I found that I need to slow down. I found that I was trying to move to the next target before the first one fell. While this may be good for competition I'm not there yet. I found I was missing the first one because I was trying to move to the next. I also found that if I load only one round my first shots were more accurate. Of course on the way home I found myself wondering that since I shoot a revolver well and always have if maybe I should try an olive spring and this would slow me down. I shoot my 65 the best but find myself carrying the 19 due to weight and capacity. The weight more than anything. I am sure I may find different results in the daylight but found shooting at night interesting and challenging.

Its more fun when you don't have to use any lights :boink::)

Back
Top Bottom