• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

No Scammers

Pretty new user here and after my first post in the classifieds where I indicated I messaged the seller, I received a PM from another user. They were posing as a friend of the seller and told me to email the seller at some gmail account. In cyber security they call this a "Man in the middle attack." I reported them and the admins booted the account and deleted the conversation. I was pretty shocked to have someone make an attempt like that right after I joined.

Here's my $0.02 based on experiences on other firearms forums like Glock Talk, Ruger Forum and Rimfire Central. I've done transactions with at least one member of both Glock Talk and the Ruger Forum with no issues FWIW.

- I can't recall what the process was when I singed up but if OT doesn't use two-factor authentication and captcha prompts to create and account and login this really needs to be in place.

- The 30 posts and 30 days seems to provide a decent balance of time and effort before someone can PM or use buy/sell. If they have to wait 30 days anyway I *think* folks would be less apt to bomb the site with garbage posts.

This is the policy at Rimfirecentral.com - "You must have 30 posts and have been a member here for 30 days to use the private messaging system or buy, sell or trade on RimfireCentral.com. ALL buying/selling/trading MUST take place in the Marketplace Classifieds area of RFC."

Pretty new user here and after my first post in the classifieds where I indicated I messaged the seller, I received a PM from another user. They were posing as a friend of the seller and told me to email the seller at some gmail account. In cyber security they call this a "Man in the middle attack." I reported them and the admins booted the account and deleted the conversation. I was pretty shocked to have someone make an attempt like that right after I joined.

Here's my $0.02 based on experiences on other firearms forums like Glock Talk, Ruger Forum and Rimfire Central. I've done transactions with at least one member of both Glock Talk and the Ruger Forum with no issues FWIW.

- I can't recall what the process was when I singed up but if OT doesn't use two-factor authentication and captcha prompts to create and account and login this really needs to be in place.

- The 30 posts and 30 days seems to provide a decent balance of time and effort before someone can PM or use buy/sell. If they have to wait 30 days anyway I *think* folks would be less apt to bomb the site with garbage posts.

This is the policy at Rimfirecentral.com - "You must have 30 posts and have been a member here for 30 days to use the private messaging system or buy, sell or trade on RimfireCentral.com. ALL buying/selling/trading MUST take place in the Marketplace Classifieds area of RFC."
Unless you disable the no reply option, the new people would be able to communicate...

In my experience working to stop fraudsters and scammers I picked one up last night and reported it. It's a new account created a few days ago and he is using "tapatalk" to get notified quickly of my "PM sent" message. He responded to me saying to email a gmail account for a quicker response. He probably knows that it takes a while for people to respond to PMs on this forum and uses that to his advantage.

We should have a policy that says for your safety keep all communications on the PMs unless you decide to meet in person or discuss over the phone. Do not send money unless you have spoken to the buyer/seller over the phone or you have or are meeting them in person.

I'm not sure how many people here use tapatalk but we should probably block its use as I've seen other forums plagued with scams by those using it.

In my experience working to stop fraudsters and scammers I picked one up last night and reported it. It's a new account created a few days ago and he is using "tapatalk" to get notified quickly of my "PM sent" message. He responded to me saying to email a gmail account for a quicker response. He probably knows that it takes a while for people to respond to PMs on this forum and uses that to his advantage.

We should have a policy that says for your safety keep all communications on the PMs unless you decide to meet in person or discuss over the phone. Do not send money unless you have spoken to the buyer/seller over the phone or you have or are meeting them in person.

I'm not sure how many people here use tapatalk but we should probably block its use as I've seen other forums plagued with scams by those using it.
We don’t have a rule per se, but there are about a 100 threads telling everyone. It amazes me why people keep falling for this BS.

Anybody notice an upswing in desperate buyers? Got a guy who joined today and has been begging me to sell my gun listed to him, and to do so immediately. Sent 3 messages already even after I told him I'm not available until tomorrow. When I asked about his CCW he said I could run any background check I needed (at 7:30pm on a Sunday night?) but he needed the gun because he's going on vacation tomorrow at 1pm...I think I'll err on the side of caution with this one.

Anybody notice an upswing in desperate buyers? Got a guy who joined today and has been begging me to sell my gun listed to him, and to do so immediately. Sent 3 messages already even after I told him I'm not available until tomorrow. When I asked about his CCW he said I could run any background check I needed (at 7:30pm on a Sunday night?) but he needed the gun because he's going on vacation tomorrow at 1pm...I think I'll err on the side of caution with this one.
good move

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to have a chat about "scammers" and hear suggestions/comments on what we can do to better combat them and keep folks from getting scammed.

I have a couple ideas, I'll start a little list and add anything that sounds promising.

- Thread or Forum where people can post the types of scams they are seeing
- Voting system where if a listing gets X amount of votes it gets pulled as a scam or spam. I can't allow the entire community to have this power or it would get abused, but maybe I could make it a lifetime supporter benefit or something. (We used to have a "Good Deal!" feature where everyone could vote on listings they considered a good deal, but it got abused and was used more ironically than anything, promoting more terrible deals than good ones.) (Side thought, a terrible deal feature could work as well. We could have "Today's Worst Deal" )

Things to look out for so far:
- Do not send money to anyone unless you are 100% sure of who they are. Check feedback, check posts, etc.
Funny I put out that I wanted to buy p320 21rnd blk mags ans all of a sudden I’m getting messages for people saying they know a guy ans they send pics of 15 rnd mags lol stamped right there and they will only take fnf PayPal so now they have totally invaded our sanctuary hoe said you can only do ftf or dtd how sad

downloadrf.jpeg

Funny I put out that I wanted to buy p320 21rnd blk mags ans all of a sudden I’m getting messages for people saying they know a guy ans they send pics of 15 rnd mags lol stamped right there and they will only take fnf PayPal so now they have totally invaded our sanctuary hoe said you can only do ftf or dtd how sad
Please report every one of these that way we can take care of them.

Back
Top Bottom