• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Northern Zone baiting is on the table in both houses for The Northern Zone

they wont be hunting at all they are dumbasses

LOL!

Lots of young hunters out there. If they are not being taught about rub lines, scrapes, deer ****, tracks, sign in general, it is their parents' fault. I have no doubt you taught yours well, and I intend to do the same, just like my Dad taught me.

I don't like to admit it, but the number of hunters is our country is definitely way down, percentage wise. The worst thing that ever happened to hunting and fishing nationwide is commercialization.

All of us should be doing our best to bring new hunters into the fold. I have helped a couple guys take their first deer. It is the most rewarding thing since I took my first deer at 9 years old. Taking a nice buck is exciting, I admit, but nothing makes me feel like a kid more than watching someone else take their first deer, and knowing I am partially responsible. It really is priceless, guys, if you have never experienced this. Please consider helping out someone who would love to go hunting, and would never have another chance, otherwise...That one seed planted could produce generations of hunters in the wake. In other words, help start a new family tradition for someone.

My best memories are from when I was young in the woods. I am excited that my 4 year old wants to go hunting. He's got it bad. I once thought my best hunting days were over, as far as excitement goes, but now I see the best days are yet to come, and that makes me very happy.

Sorry for rambling

LOL!

Lots of young hunters out there. If they are not being taught about rub lines, scrapes, deer ****, tracks, sign in general, it is their parents' fault. I have no doubt you taught yours well, and I intend to do the same, just like my Dad taught me.

I don't like to admit it, but the number of hunters is our country is definitely way down, percentage wise. The worst thing that ever happened to hunting and fishing nationwide is commercialization.

All of us should be doing our best to bring new hunters into the fold. I have helped a couple guys take their first deer. It is the most rewarding thing since I took my first deer at 9 years old. Taking a nice buck is exciting, I admit, but nothing makes me feel like a kid more than watching someone else take their first deer, and knowing I am partially responsible. It really is priceless, guys, if you have never experienced this. My best memories are from when I was young in the woods. I am excited that my 4 year old wants to go hunting. He's got it bad. I once thought my best hunting days were over, as far as excitement goes, but now I see the best days are yet to come, and that makes me very happy.

Sorry for rambling
Both of mine started going with me at 4 yrs old. What a blast they are now at 21 and 15.

Good News

On the final day that legislation could move forward this year, the Georgia state Senate approved Senate Bill 450, which removes the 200-yard and out-of-sight restriction for Northern Zone deer hunting near feed. There has been no distance restriction for Southern Zone deer hunters since 2011.

The Senate vote yesterday (Feb. 28) was 36 in favor and 19 against. The map below shows how the vote went according to Senate districts. Much of the opposition came from senators who represent urban areas. Along party lines, Republican senators voted 28 to 8 in favor of SB 450, and Democrats voted 11 to 8 against SB 450.

[Broken External Image]:

Good News

On the final day that legislation could move forward this year, the Georgia state Senate approved Senate Bill 450, which removes the 200-yard and out-of-sight restriction for Northern Zone deer hunting near feed. There has been no distance restriction for Southern Zone deer hunters since 2011.

The Senate vote yesterday (Feb. 28) was 36 in favor and 19 against. The map below shows how the vote went according to Senate districts. Much of the opposition came from senators who represent urban areas. Along party lines, Republican senators voted 28 to 8 in favor of SB 450, and Democrats voted 11 to 8 against SB 450.

[Broken External Image]:
:tea:

Good News

[Broken External Image]:

The really stupid, ignorant, moronic thing we do is allow state lawmakers vote on our hunting and everything else DNR related.
I am glad it passed, but those legislators are still a gaggle of numb nuts.

I have mixed feelings about baiting. I have done things to improve natural forage, like fertilizing natural sources of food, but have never done any supplemental feeding otherwise. Until this year.

I spotted a huge buck after the season closed and want him to have max nutrition to regrow those massive antlers and also keep him in the general area. I had no intention of keeping food available during the season and was going to carefully remove any remnants 10 days before bow season opened. I would still prefer to try for him without bait, but if this passes I have to take into account what might be going on on neighboring properties.

I've already put out corn and antler growth blocks and will be installing a feeder with high quality feed in it tomorrow. They are already hitting the corn and blocks hard. I'll also fertilize some specific white oaks. Which I have not done on this property yet. I've only hunted it two years and have taken a nice eight point each year. The first year there were acorns falling everywhere in huge numbers. This last season I couldn't find a single white oak that was producing.

I think if the white oaks produce well next year I'll stop the other food and hunt him over the natural food source... maybe.

Reactions: MRH
I have mixed feelings about baiting. I have done things to improve natural forage, like fertilizing natural sources of food, but have never done any supplemental feeding otherwise. Until this year.

I spotted a huge buck after the season closed and want him to have max nutrition to regrow those massive antlers and also keep him in the general area. I had no intention of keeping food available during the season and was going to carefully remove any remnants 10 days before bow season opened. I would still prefer to try for him without bait, but if this passes I have to take into account what might be going on on neighboring properties.

I've already put out corn and antler growth blocks and will be installing a feeder with high quality feed in it tomorrow. They are already hitting the corn and blocks hard. I'll also fertilize some specific white oaks. Which I have not done on this property yet. I've only hunted it two years and have taken a nice eight point each year. The first year there were acorns falling everywhere in huge numbers. This last season I couldn't find a single white oak that was producing.

I think if the white oaks produce well next year I'll stop the other food and hunt him over the natural food source... maybe.

From everything I have seen, which is more than a little, the deer will always prefer natural forage, especially white oaks. Almost everyone in south Ga. who seriously tries to improve overall conditions for their deer will have plenty of time, money and labor into their land as well. Corn and other foods that are bought in bags or barrels are only a small part of it, really. More or less a supplement...So by all means continue to improve the natural food sources.

I don't believe we will see much difference. There will be deer taken in the northern zone over bait, but when everybody is doing it and the deer have a natural way of opting for natural foods throughout most of the season, it really doesn't do that much to help a hunter's chances, IMO. I have even seen where the deer seem to turn more nocturnal (if that's possible) when corn piles are around.

The south side of the state is much larger, geographically, than the northern zone. It is also a lot less populated, at least by people per square mile. It is, for the most part, very rural, not unlike certain parts of Texas, the west, and Canada, where baiting is legal in some places. Maybe that's why baiting was only allowed in the southern zone, but it was unfair to the northern zone. I am glad the bill passed.

Passed the senate now to the house.White oaks produce every other year, red oaks each year.
"White oaks produce every other year"

True, but most of the time you can find trees that produce on alternate years in the same area. My place seems to be all or nothing.

Back
Top Bottom