• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Not carrying a particular gun for self-defense because it’s too expensive?

As with anything, “better choice” is subjective and depends upon the user. The 1911 still does some things better than most others, so it would depend upon what criteria you use to rank the “best”.
The two criteria that come to mind are magazine capacity and number of actions required to make it ready to fire (manual safety).

If its hard wired into your brain go for it. Ill skip the extra step. I do however have a heavier pull first round but, when training I only notice it if I think about it. In timed drills it disappears.

i normally like the DA pull it keeps me focused vs going slap happy on the trigger.

Its not one of his better videos but I think it applies to this thread. People might not use ammo because its expensive. Some might not use a pistol because they are afraid it will get scratched. That split second of indecision might be enough to get you killed.

Split second of indecision? I don't get what you're saying. It sounds like you're implying someone may balk on shooting a certain gun while their life may hang in the balance...I don't know anyone that dumb, or maybe I do and just don't realize it. Paul's video is about people not testing or shooting their carry ammo because it is too expensive and they prize it because it is expensive. In that regard it sort of relates to someone not carrying their best, most expensive gun, but it has nothing to do with a split second of indecision that may get them killed. ?

Split second of indecision? I don't get what you're saying. It sounds like you're implying someone may balk on shooting a certain gun while their life may hang in the balance...I don't know anyone that dumb, or maybe I do and just don't realize it. Paul's video is about people not testing or shooting their carry ammo because it is too expensive and they prize it because it is expensive. In that regard it sort of relates to someone not carrying their best, most expensive gun, but it has nothing to do with a split second of indecision that may get them killed. ?

Have you ever met someone that when training they would not let there mags hit the ground?

There is even a guy in the training video when he is showing how to do 1 handed reloads that says he would not reload his pistol that way because it would scratch up his gun. If you think that there are not people ATM that might hesitate, you give humans to much credit. Do you have a gun you will not carry because you do not want wear on it? Do you have mags so hard to find you wont drop them on pavement? I forget the incidend and the exact reference but there was a cop found with empty brass in his pocket because he trained in the line to save brass from his revolver and muscle memory told him to do this after shooting. Not sure how true the story is but, you will revert to how you train during stress right?

I "think" this may even be addressed in a Thunder Ranch video where people show up with pretty race guns. Im not saying everyone is like this but seeing just how many people fondle their safe queens like Madonnas TaTas, Id bet a few will lose a second on shoving their python under a car.

Four Handguns? Really??? I've got more than four Glocks just to shoot GSSF Matches with...Let's see...There's Am Civ , Comp, Heavy Metal, Unlimited and Master...That's before we even think about the Subcompacts and Single-stacks... :) ...'Course, I would never CARRY one of those plastic thingies--My EDC is a Smith Revolver and I'm good with that choice... :)
It's actually more like seven because I have a 9mm and 22lr conversion for my G22 and a 10mm conversion for my G41. So, 22lr, 9mm (X3), 40 S&W, 45 ACP and 10mm.

G43: Warm weather EDC for pocket carry.
G19: Cool weather EDC.
G22: Converted to 9mm car gun, converted to 22lr for practice and rimfire competition, 40 S&W barrel in go bag just in case I can't find 9mm.
G41: Nightstand gun and for competition. Converted to 10mm for hunting.

And just to keep the Glock theme going, a suppressed JR Carbine SBR in 9mm that takes any double stack Glock mag and a Ruger PC 9 that also takes any double stack Glock mag.

I like efficiency. :)

Have you ever met someone that when training they would not let there mags hit the ground?

There is even a guy in the training video when he is showing how to do 1 handed reloads that says he would not reload his pistol that way because it would scratch up his gun. If you think that there are not people ATM that might hesitate, you give humans to much credit. Do you have a gun you will not carry because you do not want wear on it? Do you have mags so hard to find you wont drop them on pavement? I forget the incidend and the exact reference but there was a cop found with empty brass in his pocket because he trained in the line to save brass from his revolver and muscle memory told him to do this after shooting. Not sure how true the story is but, you will revert to how you train during stress right?

I "think" this may even be addressed in a Thunder Ranch video where people show up with pretty race guns. Im not saying everyone is like this but seeing just how many people fondle their safe queens like Madonnas TaTas, Id bet a few will lose a second on shoving their python under a car.
I see that all the time . I don’t like dropping a $125 dollar p7m13 mag but that comes with the territory. If your mag breaks easily then you really should rethink that platform

Im not questioning the technique. Shooting the foot followed by center mass is a great tactic. Even if you miss the foot youve definatly distracted the invader.

My question is using 8 rounds. Now I legitimately understand wanting to alleviate the threat. However, as stupid as it may seem, wouldn't this many rounds in a criminal raise a red flag for the prosecution?

How many rounds does it take to stop a threat? Folks have been stopped with 1. Other folks have been shot with 11 and lived to die of old age.

I shoot until the threat goes down, and then I anchor him there. I know how fast my finger moves on the trigger when shooting at close range. Due to the way your brain works during an OODA Loop, I’m gonna fire at least 2-4 rounds AFTER my mind tells my finger to stop.

Deadly force is deadly force. Doesn’t make a difference what mechanism you use. Could a prosecution make a deal out of it? Possibly. They could also make a deal out of the gun and/or ammo I use.

If you are going into a deadly force encounter thinking about how many rounds you’re gonna fire, your mind is not in the right place. How many rounds will I use? As many as are needed, plus 2-4 more.

I would rather be alive to hear the prosecutor talk about his BS than dead because I didn’t adequately deal with the threat. Handguns are an ineffective tool to stop a human aggressor with, so apply it liberally.

The two criteria that come to mind are magazine capacity and number of actions required to make it ready to fire (manual safety).

Ah.......so it IS subjective. I would imagine that most of us have the same list of criteria, but we rank them in different orders. Those 2 criteria are not near the top of my list.

Back
Top Bottom