• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Not carrying a particular gun for self-defense because it’s too expensive?

I would rather be alive to hear the prosecutor talk about his BS than dead because I didn’t adequately deal with the threat. Handguns are an ineffective tool to stop a human aggressor with, so apply it liberally.
Hehe can we quote you as an expert witness on that to the judge, jury and prosecutor? ;)

Split second of indecision? I don't get what you're saying. It sounds like you're implying someone may balk on shooting a certain gun while their life may hang in the balance...I don't know anyone that dumb, or maybe I do and just don't realize it. Paul's video is about people not testing or shooting their carry ammo because it is too expensive and they prize it because it is expensive. In that regard it sort of relates to someone not carrying their best, most expensive gun, but it has nothing to do with a split second of indecision that may get them killed. ?
Practice is what you fall back on when under stress. If you’ve practiced the thought process of not wanting to use the gun, for what ever reason. That will be what you fall back on during a stressful situation.
Hasn’t anything at all with intelligence.

Ah.......so it IS subjective. I would imagine that most of us have the same list of criteria, but we rank them in different orders. Those 2 criteria are not near the top of my list.
How they are ranked is subjective. The fact that the 1911 carries less rounds in the magazine and requires a manual safety switch manipulation prior to firing compared to say a Glock 19 (or any other comparable modern striker fired pistol) is entirely objective.

Obviously you can train reloads, but they still take time in the fight. You can train deactivating the safety during the draw, but if you mess it up under stress the gun does not work.

Is it not fair to say that objectively that in a firefight requiring 10+ rounds, a Glock 19 (or similar) pistol is superior to a 1911? I'm doing roughly twice as many reloads with the 1911 (4x+ if we consider 33 round Glock mags) assuming I even brought that many mags, and if Murphy strikes during the draw and I miss the safety my first shot could be significantly delayed.

All this said, in the average gunfight (3 rounds in <3 secs, from what I hear), it wouldn't make much difference.

Under stress you will default to your level of training, you will not "rise to the occasion". "Training" includes everything you do with a firearm, not just those times that you think to yourself, "I'm training now."

Those lazy, administrative loads you do when getting ready? They are filed in your brain under "Reload Options". All those bad habits are in there. Under stress your mind SHOULD pull the task that you have practiced the most, or most recently, buuuuuuut........that ain't a guarantee. I've seen folks do crazy **** under stress. Then, when you question them about it, they have no idea they did it and will oftentimes deny it. It has nothing to do with intelligence, it's how the human brain functions, or doesn't, under stress.

How they are ranked is subjective. The fact that the 1911 carries less rounds in the magazine and requires a manual safety switch manipulation prior to firing compared to say a Glock 19 (or any other comparable modern striker fired pistol) is entirely objective.

Obviously you can train reloads, but they still take time in the fight. You can train deactivating the safety during the draw, but if you mess it up under stress the gun does not work.

Is it not fair to say that objectively that in a firefight requiring 10+ rounds, a Glock 19 (or similar) pistol is superior to a 1911? I'm doing roughly twice as many reloads with the 1911 (4x+ if we consider 33 round Glock mags) assuming I even brought that many mags, and if Murphy strikes during the draw and I miss the safety my first shot could be significantly delayed.

All this said, in the average gunfight (3 rounds in <3 secs, from what I hear), it wouldn't make much difference.

I agree with what you say is important TO YOU, I’m just saying that TO ME, criteria like accuracy is more important TO ME than capacity.

My first 3 criteria are:
1. Reliability
2. Ease of use
3. Accuracy

I have never not operated the thumb safety on a 1911. I competed with one on a weekly basis for several years and made USPSA Grand Master with it. Hundreds of thousands of draws and safety manipulations. The thumb safety is part of the grip, and you use the thumb safety as the rest for your thhumb while shooting. Your thumb stays on top of the safety.

I’m not saying a 1911 is the handgun for everyone and I don’t recommend them to folks near as much as I do the Glock. Doesn’t mean the Glock is the better weapon, it means that it’s the more appropriate system for most users.

I agree with what you say is important TO YOU, I’m just saying that TO ME, criteria like accuracy is more important TO ME than capacity.

My first 3 criteria are:
1. Reliability
2. Ease of use
3. Accuracy

I have never not operated the thumb safety on a 1911. I competed with one on a weekly basis for several years and made USPSA Grand Master with it. Hundreds of thousands of draws and safety manipulations. The thumb safety is part of the grip, and you use the thumb safety as the rest for your thhumb while shooting. Your thumb stays on top of the safety.

I’m not saying a 1911 is the handgun for everyone and I don’t recommend them to folks near as much as I do the Glock. Doesn’t mean the Glock is the better weapon, it means that it’s the more appropriate system for most users.
Is there an appreciable difference in those three criteria that makes the 1911 a superior choice over other pistols like the Glock, P10C, etc?

I'm not familiar enough with 1911s to know honestly.

Is there an appreciable difference in those three criteria that makes the 1911 a superior choice over other pistols like the Glock, P10C, etc?

I'm not familiar enough with 1911s to know honestly.

The 1911 is better for ME in those criteria. For other folks it would not be. For most folks, “Ease of use” would not be good for them on a 1911.

What I’m trying to get at is the 1911 is MY first choice for ME. I’m not recommending it to anyone else, nor am I trying to talk anyone else out of their choice of carry. I’m not saying anyone’s list of criteria is wrong, either. What’s important to me may not be quite as important to someone else.

I believe that nothing beats the trigger and the accuracy of a good 1911. Honestly, those are the only reasons the platform is still alive and as popular as it is. Nothing has a trigger and trigger reset like a 1911. Glocks are not known for their accuracy, however they are more than accurate enough for their purpose.

Anyone that has never shot a good 1911, come to one of my classes. I’ll bring a
1911 or two, a box of ammo, and you’re welcome to give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom