• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Not carrying a particular gun for self-defense because it’s too expensive?

The 1911 is better for ME in those criteria. For other folks it would not be. For most folks, “Ease of use” would not be good for them on a 1911.

What I’m trying to get at is the 1911 is MY first choice for ME. I’m not recommending it to anyone else, nor am I trying to talk anyone else out of their choice of carry. I’m not saying anyone’s list of criteria is wrong, either. What’s important to me may not be quite as important to someone else.

I believe that nothing beats the trigger and the accuracy of a good 1911. Honestly, those are the only reasons the platform is still alive and as popular as it is. Nothing has a trigger and trigger reset like a 1911. Glocks are not known for their accuracy, however they are more than accurate enough for their purpose.

Anyone that has never shot a good 1911, come to one of my classes. I’ll bring a
1911 or two, a box of ammo, and you’re welcome to give it a try.
Damn it, man. You're making me nostalgic for my 1911s.

Have you ever met someone that when training they would not let there mags hit the ground?

There is even a guy in the training video when he is showing how to do 1 handed reloads that says he would not reload his pistol that way because it would scratch up his gun. If you think that there are not people ATM that might hesitate, you give humans to much credit. Do you have a gun you will not carry because you do not want wear on it? Do you have mags so hard to find you wont drop them on pavement? I forget the incidend and the exact reference but there was a cop found with empty brass in his pocket because he trained in the line to save brass from his revolver and muscle memory told him to do this after shooting. Not sure how true the story is but, you will revert to how you train during stress right?

I "think" this may even be addressed in a Thunder Ranch video where people show up with pretty race guns. Im not saying everyone is like this but seeing just how many people fondle their safe queens like Madonnas TaTas, Id bet a few will lose a second on shoving their python under a car.

You may have a point. That sure would be a dumb thing to do in the middle of a fight, but I suppose some could possibly do these things, simply because they did them in training. It just seems crazy to someone like me, and probably most of us who have thought this through a little more.

Practice is what you fall back on when under stress. If you’ve practiced the thought process of not wanting to use the gun, for what ever reason. That will be what you fall back on during a stressful situation.
Hasn’t anything at all with intelligence.

I guess so. I have never trained, practiced or thought like that so it doesn't register with me, but I see what you're saying. If someone trains that way, they will most likely fight that way. It sounds ridiculous to me, but I believe it.

Under stress you will default to your level of training, you will not "rise to the occasion". "Training" includes everything you do with a firearm, not just those times that you think to yourself, "I'm training now."

Those lazy, administrative loads you do when getting ready? They are filed in your brain under "Reload Options". All those bad habits are in there. Under stress your mind SHOULD pull the task that you have practiced the most, or most recently, buuuuuuut........that ain't a guarantee. I've seen folks do crazy **** under stress. Then, when you question them about it, they have no idea they did it and will oftentimes deny it. It has nothing to do with intelligence, it's how the human brain functions, or doesn't, under stress.

One of the refreshers I got while watching your video is the way you hold the pistol up high enough so that you can watch the threat and see the gun in your peripheral vision. Or vice versa if I'm having any difficulty seating the mag. I have always practiced no look reloads while keeping my head up and looking at the threat, but not while holding the gun up higher like that. It's a good technique and a smart way to practice, IMO. I'm going to start practicing that way.

This is one reason I need to train on more than just paper and steel.

I need to move more and also need moving targets. If rather not attempt to take a stance during an encounter ATM i do not move much when practicing.

This is one reason I need to train on more than just paper and steel.

I need to move more and also need moving targets. If rather not attempt to take a stance during an encounter ATM i do not move much when practicing.

When I was growing up we had a spot on our hunting property where my Dad would be on top of a hill and he would tape a balloon to the inside of an old tire. Then he would roll that tire down the hill and I would try to bust the balloon with my .22lr while it was rolling. I was down the hill so I would have to get out in front, slightly and wait for an opening as it rolled behind the trees. I got quite good at it, and have killed a slew of deer using this technique over the years while hunting thick brushy areas. Its good and fun practice if you ever want to try it. Of course this was with a rifle and it is a much different skill set, but still a lot of fun.

Back
Top Bottom