• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Not carrying a particular gun for self-defense because it’s too expensive?

So if you carried a $3000 Les Baer custom 1911, and you were involved in a defensive gun use, and you're standing on the concrete sidewalk when the cops show up and tell you to "DROP THE GUN!" what are you going to DO?
Really drop it, with a 4 foot fall to to concrete?
After that, what if they tell you to KICK IT towards them?
Yep screw that pistol. It did what I needed it to. It saved my life . Those scratches would forever remind me of that . Nothing is more valuable than your life

Yep screw that pistol. It did what I needed it to. It saved my life . Those scratches would forever remind me of that . Nothing is more valuable than your life

Back when I used to do a lot of 1911 work, I had a guy bring in a Colt 1991A1, totally stock and slightly rusty. Had a case number engraved on the slide with a hand engraver. He had used it the year before in a self-defense shooting. Killed the perp and was cleared of any and all wrongdoing. He wanted me to do a full custom carry build on it, but didn’t want the case number altered......a memento, as it were. Turned out very nice.

Back when I used to do a lot of 1911 work, I had a guy bring in a Colt 1991A1, totally stock and slightly rusty. Had a case number engraved on the slide with a hand engraver. He had used it the year before in a self-defense shooting. Killed the perp and was cleared of any and all wrongdoing. He wanted me to do a full custom carry build on it, but didn’t want the case number altered......a memento, as it were. Turned out very nice.
Nice . Guns are tools . Tools with a very specific use . While I don’t like losing money ... I’m not willing to risk or lose my life in the name of money. I don’t care about anything that much

The 1911 is better for ME in those criteria. For other folks it would not be. For most folks, “Ease of use” would not be good for them on a 1911.

What I’m trying to get at is the 1911 is MY first choice for ME. I’m not recommending it to anyone else, nor am I trying to talk anyone else out of their choice of carry. I’m not saying anyone’s list of criteria is wrong, either. What’s important to me may not be quite as important to someone else.

I believe that nothing beats the trigger and the accuracy of a good 1911. Honestly, those are the only reasons the platform is still alive and as popular as it is. Nothing has a trigger and trigger reset like a 1911. Glocks are not known for their accuracy, however they are more than accurate enough for their purpose.

Anyone that has never shot a good 1911, come to one of my classes. I’ll bring a
1911 or two, a box of ammo, and you’re welcome to give it a try.
Well I've shot a Taurus 1911 but I don't think that counts as good lol. I'll take you up on that offer, I'll be at the 9/29 Combat Carbine and Lowlight class. :D

Interesting thread, thanks op.
I'm more of a shotgun and rifle man with thousands of rounds fired, primarily in hunting situations. Now hunting is not in the same league as a real self defense situation but the adrenalin can get pretty high on a covey rise of wild quail or a 400 yd shot at a trophy whitetail. Especially if you hunted him for days and got one shot right at dark and he is hundreds of yards away. And you had literally 10 seconds to make the decision to take him and then execute the shot. That'l test your nerves.

I do think a few things from the hunting experience carry over to self defense:

1) Familiarity with guns in general. I have carried a gun in the field enough to be totally confident in my ability to safely do so and to bring it to bear on a target quickly and accurately. Now granted they are not shooting back, but still.
An example here would be the safety issue some used to cricitize the 1911 platform. Honestly, pushing the safety on fire is so automatic for me I don't remember doing it. When a wild quail flushes you don't have long to shoot or he is gone...my safety goes off as I mount gun, with no conscious effort on my part. I have found that the 1911 safety is the same for me. I point the gun and the safety is off...no conscious thought. A good habit also carries over from hunting in that after shooting or being ready to disengage...the safety also AUTOMATICALLY goes back ON. It's muscle memory.

2) I have also been trained by my hunting experience to MAKE THE FIRST SHOT COUNT. That extra split second before breaking the trigger to make sure you are on target is key...otherwise there may not be time for a second shot. I suspect this is true also in a gunfight and I can only hope I could carry this skill over. I get a kick out of first timers on a covey rise...after the smoke clears and their auto is empty without touching a feather I like to ask...which bird were you aiming at? The honest ones give me a sheepish grin and say something like "**** if I know...all of them!"

3) Trigger control. Shotguns have triggers like a DA handgun and require quick, firm pressure...at a moving target. Takes a while to get the break to happen on time. Hunting rifles however, at least mine, have the same sweet "breaking glass" triggers as the 1911.
These take time to master also for long range accuracy.

To sum up the above and bring it back to the op's point. I am comfortable carrying a Glock 19 when I need to clothing-wise and I do. It's my old shotgun trigger skills. I will also agree with the P7 fans and say that I also carry it with confidence because of the simple squeeze cock and great accuracy (better trigger than Glock).

But....wait for it.....................my favorite carry sidearm is an Ed Brown commander...or maybe my Harrison custom. They just feel right in my hand and hit what I point them at...consistently.

My son (18) and I don't get to the range much but we do like to go to the river behind the house. Throw a few pine cones in upstream and shoot them floating by at 15 to 50 yds. Great fun. Our Glocks will nail them most of the time - usually popping them up in the air..but when I pull out one of my 1911's the boy yells "no fair!". Seems if he is downstream of me the targets are usually gone before they get to him. They don't just pop up in the air like with the Glock 9's...they disintegrate and disappear.

The 1911 is also used to clean up any targets that get by and are at longer ranges downriver. Can't hit them with the Glocks that far...buts it's no problem with the 1911.

And so my theory is that if the first shot counts...or the perp is 50 yards away...that 1911 with the sweet trigger and longer sight radius is gonna put him down while he is spraying bullets around. And a .45 in the chest is a whole different animal than a 9.

This was my long winded way of saying..."yes op, I agree with you.":)

And I'll conclude with one of my favorite movie lines " I said I didn't prefer handguns...I didn't say I didn't know how to use one"

Interesting thread, thanks op.
I'm more of a shotgun and rifle man with thousands of rounds fired, primarily in hunting situations. Now hunting is not in the same league as a real self defense situation but the adrenalin can get pretty high on a covey rise of wild quail or a 400 yd shot at a trophy whitetail. Especially if you hunted him for days and got one shot right at dark and he is hundreds of yards away. And you had literally 10 seconds to make the decision to take him and then execute the shot. That'l test your nerves.

I do think a few things from the hunting experience carry over to self defense:

1) Familiarity with guns in general. I have carried a gun in the field enough to be totally confident in my ability to safely do so and to bring it to bear on a target quickly and accurately. Now granted they are not shooting back, but still.
An example here would be the safety issue some used to cricitize the 1911 platform. Honestly, pushing the safety on fire is so automatic for me I don't remember doing it. When a wild quail flushes you don't have long to shoot or he is gone...my safety goes off as I mount gun, with no conscious effort on my part. I have found that the 1911 safety is the same for me. I point the gun and the safety is off...no conscious thought. A good habit also carries over from hunting in that after shooting or being ready to disengage...the safety also AUTOMATICALLY goes back ON. It's muscle memory.

2) I have also been trained by my hunting experience to MAKE THE FIRST SHOT COUNT. That extra split second before breaking the trigger to make sure you are on target is key...otherwise there may not be time for a second shot. I suspect this is true also in a gunfight and I can only hope I could carry this skill over. I get a kick out of first timers on a covey rise...after the smoke clears and their auto is empty without touching a feather I like to ask...which bird were you aiming at? The honest ones give me a sheepish grin and say something like "**** if I know...all of them!"

3) Trigger control. Shotguns have triggers like a DA handgun and require quick, firm pressure...at a moving target. Takes a while to get the break to happen on time. Hunting rifles however, at least mine, have the same sweet "breaking glass" triggers as the 1911.
These take time to master also for long range accuracy.

To sum up the above and bring it back to the op's point. I am comfortable carrying a Glock 19 when I need to clothing-wise and I do. It's my old shotgun trigger skills. I will also agree with the P7 fans and say that I also carry it with confidence because of the simple squeeze **** and great accuracy (better trigger than Glock).

But....wait for it.....................my favorite carry sidearm is an Ed Brown commander...or maybe my Harrison custom. They just feel right in my hand and hit what I point them at...consistently.

My son (18) and I don't get to the range much but we do like to go to the river behind the house. Throw a few pine cones in upstream and shoot them floating by at 15 to 50 yds. Great fun. Our Glocks will nail them most of the time - usually popping them up in the air..but when I pull out one of my 1911's the boy yells "no fair!". Seems if he is downstream of me the targets are usually gone before they get to him. They don't just pop up in the air like with the Glock 9's...they disintegrate and disappear.

The 1911 is also used to clean up any targets that get by and are at longer ranges downriver. Can't hit them with the Glocks that far...buts it's no problem with the 1911.

And so my theory is that if the first shot counts...or the perp is 50 yards away...that 1911 with the sweet trigger and longer sight radius is gonna put him down while he is spraying bullets around. And a .45 in the chest is a whole different animal than a 9.

This was my long winded way of saying..."yes op, I agree with you.":)

And I'll conclude with one of my favorite movie lines " I said I didn't prefer handguns...I didn't say I didn't know how to use one"
Quigley Down Under! Watched that again the other day, damn good movie.

Cause I’m sure after you’re involved in a self defense situation you will be saying dang I shouldn’t have used that custom expensive pistol, should’ve just used a Glock or what not lol.

Cause I’m sure after you’re involved in a self defense situation you will be saying dang I shouldn’t have used that custom expensive pistol, should’ve just used a Glock or what not lol.
Nope . I’d say “dang thank god im alive and have insurance on the firearm I used “ .

Again that’s putting yourself in danger and at a disadvantage all because you choose a firearm you are not as efficient with but it’s more cost efficient. No thanks

Back
Top Bottom