• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Not carrying a particular gun for self-defense because it’s too expensive?

I was in a class with Hack a couple of years back and there was a dude in the class who kept going on and on about how there was no need to carry a spare mag, etc, that whatever was in the gun would be sufficient for the average person. Hack finally looks at the guy and says "That's all well and good if you're training for the day you're attacked by a drunk hobo with a peg leg armed with a butterknife. Personally, I prefer to train for the day that Rob Leatham found out you knocked up his daughter and he's after you with a 1911 and a big ass bag of magazines"
People give cops a hard time when they see the shootout videos but that is real life . It’s fast , hectic and those rounds go quicker than you think. I always carry extra mags . Better to have them

People give cops a hard time when they see the shootout videos but that is real life . It’s fast , hectic and those rounds go quicker than you think. I always carry extra mags . Better to have them
I used to tell officers I was training that when **** went to hell you would do and say **** you never thought you would. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best...

So if you carried a $3000 Les Baer custom 1911, and you were involved in a defensive gun use, and you're standing on the concrete sidewalk when the cops show up and tell you to "DROP THE GUN!" what are you going to DO?
Really drop it, with a 4 foot fall to to concrete?
After that, what if they tell you to KICK IT towards them?

So if you carried a $3000 Les Baer custom 1911, and you were involved in a defensive gun use, and you're standing on the concrete sidewalk when the cops show up and tell you to "DROP THE GUN!" what are you going to DO?
Throw it into the grass for a softer landing. :-)

Yes
s

Yes

If that’s what they wanted, then yes.

Personally, I teach LEO’s not to have perps “drop” firearms. Possibility of an accidental discharge. Same thing with “kicking” them. While I don’t know all the training programs of all the LE agencies, I don’t personally know of any that teach officers to order perps to drop and/or kick firearms. Common sense.

Back
Top Bottom