• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Not carrying a particular gun for self-defense because it’s too expensive?

I understand that for a professional or say a competition shooter a more expensive weapon tuned to their needs would give that person an edge. As for me I shoot a lot for a typical law enforcement guy but nowhere near the amount of a competitive shooter. For myself I do not believe a more expensive handgun would give me much more of an edge.

I do not take it as a knock at all. Like I said I am carrying what works best for me. I carry a Glock at work and the Shield is similar enough in function that I carry it as a back up. I just never liked the 43.

I also have nothing against someone that wants to carry a nice custom pistol. If that is what that person is comfortable with then I have no issues at all with it.
This right here . Boom. Internet high five .

I just carry a pocket gun. I’m not expecting to fight the al queada. If 7 rounds of 9mm doesn’t get me out of a bad spot, I’m probably screwed no matter what. I don’t have stats to put up, but I guess the average-joe self defense situation isn’t more than a couple shots at fairly close range.

I'm not saying this in a disparaging way... Take a dynamic training course. One thing that I changed about my carry after I took some classes was carrying extra mags. Sometimes you use an entire mag in order to move to cover. And this is using 13 round mags... 7 is fine to start with, but you are REALLY rolling the dice...

The fight is going to be what it’s going to be, not what you’ve planned it to be.

The only times you can have too much ammo is if you’re drowning or on fire.

I was in a class with Hack a couple of years back and there was a dude in the class who kept going on and on about how there was no need to carry a spare mag, etc, that whatever was in the gun would be sufficient for the average person. Hack finally looks at the guy and says "That's all well and good if you're training for the day you're attacked by a drunk hobo with a peg leg armed with a butterknife. Personally, I prefer to train for the day that Rob Leatham found out you knocked up his daughter and he's after you with a 1911 and a big ass bag of magazines"

Yeah I believe in having spare mags...As many as I can reasonably carry. I would rather be prepared thinking I may need them instead of thinking I won't need them. It would suck to die for lack of shooting back.

I was in a class with Hack a couple of years back and there was a dude in the class who kept going on and on about how there was no need to carry a spare mag, etc, that whatever was in the gun would be sufficient for the average person. Hack finally looks at the guy and says "That's all well and good if you're training for the day you're attacked by a drunk hobo with a peg leg armed with a butterknife. Personally, I prefer to train for the day that Rob Leatham found out you knocked up his daughter and he's after you with a 1911 and a big ass bag of magazines"

That’s a quotable Hackism that I’m adding to my repertoire! Some others are:

HK couldn’t market free sex

That’s as wrong as 2 boys ****ing

Calling the AR malfunction clearance where you stick 2 fingers up the magwell “Prom night”

Back
Top Bottom