Ok my turn to rant about the courts and police

Now he's in the system.... If he does ANYTHING and gets checked by the police, any minor infraction will be magnified and he will be processed again. Gordon county where I work is awful. Have the canadates for low level positions I interviewed are on probation.
That's bull **** (about "the system") doesn't even show in the license check. Will show up on a Criminal Back Ground check, but that's not done unless there is a seperate need.****ty way for the cop to handle the situation. He could have cited and released. There is a exception in the law for work, events and breakdowns (extenuating circumstances)

Think about it.
The govt. would like for everybody to be on probation, so the LEO can throw the US Constitution out the window, and treat you like they own you. Well that and the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

But they ain't all crooked, just ask a cop.

The whole system is tore up from the floor up.

Not all judges are bought and paid for, just the ones that make decisions.

Yea I'm sorry to hear about this. This sentence sounds really absurd! Probation for a 17 year old driving after midnight?!?! I'm more upset with the court than I am with the officer. I guess it all depends on how long the officer waited for them to find a friend to pick them up. I've waited with someone for about an hour for AAA to come (their car was not drive-able at that time) only to find out when AAA arrived that the person did not have a valid AAA membership and they wouldn't take her car. At that point she wanted to find a different way to take care of her car, but she had already wasted an hour of my time so I just towed the car. She went with the tow truck. I didn't just leave her on the side of the road. But supervisors will get ticked off if you wait with someone for too long. 20-30 minutes, no problem. An hour and a half...not gonna happen. At least not where I was on patrol. If this LEO didn't want to wait for a few minutes, then he is a douche. After hearing what was going on I would have done everything I could have to make sure they got home with their car safely. Everything within reason of course.

As for the court, I'm going to mirror what everyone else is saying and recommend hiring an attorney. I would at least talk to one. Any reputable attorney will give free consultations. It would be worth your time to call one up and take the 15 minutes to hear what they have to say. Of course, they will want you to hire them, but they'll have some good insight, as well. I know a lot of states have more serious repercussions for minors that drive (i.e. kids under 18 driving after midnight, etc). I don't necessarily think those laws have much effect on anything other than really sticking it to the kids that violate it. Regardless, most states are quite strict with them. But that doesn't mean you can't get help from an attorney. I think this sentence is a bit over board. Again, sorry that you have to deal with this and keep us posted if you take an additional course of action. Good luck!

That's bull **** (about "the system") doesn't even show in the license check. Will show up on a Criminal Back Ground check, but that's not done unless there is a seperate need.****ty way for the cop to handle the situation. He could have cited and released. There is a exception in the law for work, events and breakdowns (extenuating circumstances)

If the cop comes across someone who is regulated in the sense that they are not allowed to drive after midnight and that driver IS driving after midnight, I'm pretty sure he is not allowed to just let them drive away after citing them. I wasn't allowed to do that. If that person drives away after the cop releases him and then gets into a car accident, that department and the officer will have hell to pay. If it were me, I would have waited for a friend to come pick them up. I mean, they're underage kids with a broken down care. I've waited for many of friends of drivers to come pick someone up that wasn't allowed to drive or wasn't in a proper condition to drive. But again, there is a reasonable amount of time the cop should wait to help them out. If the friend was going to take over an hour to get there, then I don't think it's unreasonable to tow the car. But saying the cop should have just let the kid drive again when it's against the law to do so is not a reasonable solution here.

Wait, if the car was broken down, how would they have driven it away? (Maybe I just need to re-read OP). Either way, I think I've made my point :D

Probation, just a money making tool. I heard of a guy that went to court a couple of months ago, was found guilty and put on probation for a year. But, the kicker is, all he had to do was pay some money, somewhere around a thousand dollars, and his probation went away. Yep, it's all about the money. I place more blame on the courts then the cops in cases like this, as was stated, we don't know how long or the other circumstances of the actual stop.

It's a simple concept to follow. Even my young kids understand this. If you don't break the rules, you don't get punished.
Probation, just a money making tool. I heard of a guy that went to court a couple of months ago, was found guilty and put on probation for a year. But, the kicker is, all he had to do was pay some money, somewhere around a thousand dollars, and his probation went away. Yep, it's all about the money. I place more blame on the courts then the cops in cases like this, as was stated, we don't know how long or the other circumstances of the actual stop.

Back
Top Bottom