• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Old Iver Johnson freshen up

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
My neighbor brought this over for a clean and touch up job. I forgot to take pics at the start but it was 3:00 am this morning when I started and just didn't think about it.

It's a Iver Johnson 22 cal target pistol. The barrel had a good bit of surface rust and a lot of the bluing was in really bad shape with some spots none at all. I cleaned it real good to start with and then I started to re-blue the exposed parts. I didn't strip it all down because the factory blewing is a lot more durable so I just sanded it down real good with 1500 and then cleaned it with brake clean and then started to reblue the areas that needed it. I will say that the blue ain't took really nice and blended well with the factory bluing. I don't know why people don't keep these guns in better shape because it's a nice little Accurate Gun and with just a little bit of time could be kept in excellent shape but so is the public. I did everything and I'm putting a little true oil on it to spice up the grip a little bit. It was so filthy it was almost black so I just sanded it down to get the dirt off of it and then started to apply the true oil. I'll put a couple coats on it and then probably knock it down to a little bit dollar finish. That should help keep the grip clean and keep it from water and oil and whatnot. It's a model 57 it was produced between 1957 and 1960. It's a sweet little piece for a 22. Has a case hardened hammer and trigger on it which I don't think you can see from the pics but it looks really nice. It's also designated a target pistol according to the markings on the top. I really like old Iver Johnson firearms. The ones that I have owned in the past have been really accurate and very reliable firearms. All That remains is I just need to let it cure and then I can apply a light coat of oil and reassemble. I had it down taking apart further than that but I just now took pictures so it looks better all together it gives you better perspective. I'm really stoked about the way it turned out. When I first laid eyes on it I didn't think it would come out so nice because there was so much rust and areas on it that were absent of any bluing at all but it blended quite nice.

IMG_20231204_071759264.jpg

IMG_20231204_070702123.jpg
IMG_20231204_064842239.jpg
IMG_20231204_064857615.jpg

Back
Top Bottom