• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

One shot at a time.Old School or Outdated?

Edog537

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
111   0
Reaction score
So this year I had to change a few things up. 1996-2014 I was a dog hunter in Jenkins County. I killed about 2 dump truck loads of deer with an 870 and an 11-87. If you have never done this type of hunting you have no idea how hard it is to kill a deer running wide open with buckshot on the ground standing in a jungle with about 40 yards of visibility max. So I switched back to stand hunting closer to home. The drive to Jenkins County was 200 miles one way. Hunting with my AR did not appeal to me and did not seem fair. I mean come on the deer is standing still so I wanted to add a challenge to the hunt. I decided to go with a single shot rifle. I bought another house last summer and with 2 mortages and the expense of equipping myself... stands, trail cams, etc.... I could not afford a T/C set up. I went through a few Handi rifles and just did not like the set up. To heavy and crappy triggers. So I found CVA rifles. I have an Apex in .308( waiting on 35 Whelen barrels to come in stock) and a Scout V2 in .243 and 300Blk "that is for my son". I will be picking up a 7mm08 and one the pistols before next season. The triggers are awesome and are all laser accurate. I pulled off two doubles one with the .308 and one with the 300Blk. There are a few other guys on here who are CVA fans. There guns are all great shooters also. Who else challenges themselves to one shot, archery only, blackpowder, or anything else to add more challenge to hunting. Not bashing anyone who hunts in any legal way. Just looking for other like minded folks.

I like to hunt long range when I can find the right place. I have access to a spot where I can hunt up to 450 yards, but would like to find someplace I can really stretch it out. I also load my own and the ammo for my long range rifles is too long to fit in the mag, so even though I shoot a bolt action the over long ammo means it's a single shot rifle.

I consider the bolt action a sigle shot.i always make sure the first is the one I'm depending on.they in magazine instead of pocket.

Well I hunt with a single shot rifle, an AR, and an AK (which based on how inaccurate I hear people say it is, that must be the most challenging gun of all).

But I don't understand what is "unfair" about hunting with an AR or similar. If you want to just take one shot, then take it. If you feel the shot is too easy, then don't take it. 98% of the deer I see get a pass anyway.

My goal is to take one shot no matter what I'm hunting with, otherwise I just took a bad shot.

I made the switch to muzzleloader hunting awhile back. Although I do carry a bolt gun occasionally. I find when I have the muzzleloader I pick my shots more carefully and have more patients waiting on that one perfect shot opportunity. I liken it to bow hunting in some ways, more watching than anything. You gotta make that one shot count regardless of method as stated above.

I made the switch to muzzleloader hunting awhile back. Although I do carry a bolt gun occasionally. I find when I have the muzzleloader I pick my shots more carefully and have more patients waiting on that one perfect shot opportunity. I liken it to bow hunting in some ways, more watching than anything. You gotta make that one shot count regardless of method as stated above.

I have killed more dear with a .50 black powder gun than with all other guns I've owned combined. I too know you pick your shots more carefully and I think I somehow hunt differently as well. It's the only reason I've ever come up with for seeing so many more deer, when that gun is in my hands.

I have never in my life fired more than one shot at a deer. But I've almost always had more rounds in the magazine.
Slinging buckshot through thick cover at running deer 'hoping' for a lethal shot has absolutely ZERO appeal to me and quite the contrary. It's amazing how oppositely people can look at things...

I use a T/C Encore pro hunter. I had a T/C hawken in .45 that I carried a few times but never pulled the trigger on anything with it.

Back
Top Bottom