• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

One shot at a time.Old School or Outdated?

I don't think most folks that use weapons that offer fast follow up shots are any less concerned with proper placement of the first shot. Any ethical hunter puts a high priority on that. With that said, there are times a fast follow up shot can make the difference. There have been times that I have used a finishing shot on big game even though the first shot put them down and would have killed them. There have been a couple of times I have made a good first shot and it didn't put them down immediately, so I hit them again. There have even been a few times that I have taken multiple big game animals in rapid succession.

The availability of a fast follow up shot should never be thought of as a back-up in case you miss the first time and I don't think that's a common mind set regardless of what a person hunts with.

Heres a pic of my Hawken.
image-jpeg.586669

an AK (which based on how inaccurate I hear people say it is, that must be the most challenging gun of all).

a. AK's are plenty accurate enough for deer.
2. They're capable of far more accuracy than 90% of the folks who slag them off.
iii. In my experience "inaccurate rifles" usually have a problem with the part that connects the trigger to the sight.

Btw, I'm not an AK fanboi.

2. They're capable of far more accuracy than 90% of the folks who slag them off.
iii. In my experience "inaccurate rifles" usually have a problem with the part that connects the trigger to the sight.

Yes I know. :thumb: That was me being sarcastic. I've taken plenty of deer and hog with my AKs, and it is my preferred hunting rifle.

A lot of my early hunting was done with a traditional flintlock rifle, using patched round ball. I have always been choosy about shot placement and will not hesitate to pass on a shot. The thing I best learned from the flintlock was follow through. You have to learn to hold dead still as you pull the trigger or you will miss.

That would depend on what type of deer hunting you do. I can take a shot out to 450 yards on one of my blind locations and killed a deer at 270 yards this year. I have never seen a stock AK that was accurate enough to do that reliably.

Also, accuracy faults are cumulative. It is not determined by either the rifle or shooter alone. It is a combination of both. One absolute truth is that a shooter's skill cannot improve the accuracy of the rifle. It is what it is.

That would depend on what type of deer hunting you do. I can take a shot out to 450 yards on one of my blind locations and killed a deer at 270 yards this year. I have never seen a stock AK that was accurate enough to do that reliably.

Also, accuracy faults are cumulative. It is not determined by either the rifle or shooter alone. It is a combination of both. One absolute truth is that a shooter's skill cannot improve the accuracy of the rifle. It is what it is.

I agree, but also anyone who takes a 270 yard shot at a game animal with a 7.62x39 would be a pretty irresponsible hunter to begin with.

I use a CVA Optima Elite muzzleloader quite often. I go to the Primitive Weapons hunt at Piedmont NWR most every year and carry it quite often during the general firearms season while at my lease. We have a group of guys from work taking Muzzleloaders for some public land hog hunting next week.

Back
Top Bottom