• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

One shot at a time.Old School or Outdated?

So this year I had to change a few things up. 1996-2014 I was a dog hunter in Jenkins County. I killed about 2 dump truck loads of deer with an 870 and an 11-87. If you have never done this type of hunting you have no idea how hard it is to kill a deer running wide open with buckshot on the ground standing in a jungle with about 40 yards of visibility max. So I switched back to stand hunting closer to home. The drive to Jenkins County was 200 miles one way. Hunting with my AR did not appeal to me and did not seem fair. I mean come on the deer is standing still so I wanted to add a challenge to the hunt. I decided to go with a single shot rifle. I bought another house last summer and with 2 mortages and the expense of equipping myself... stands, trail cams, etc.... I could not afford a T/C set up. I went through a few Handi rifles and just did not like the set up. To heavy and crappy triggers. So I found CVA rifles. I have an Apex in .308( waiting on 35 Whelen barrels to come in stock) and a Scout V2 in .243 and 300Blk "that is for my son". I will be picking up a 7mm08 and one the pistols before next season. The triggers are awesome and are all laser accurate. I pulled off two doubles one with the .308 and one with the 300Blk. There are a few other guys on here who are CVA fans. There guns are all great shooters also. Who else challenges themselves to one shot, archery only, blackpowder, or anything else to add more challenge to hunting. Not bashing anyone who hunts in any legal way. Just looking for other like minded folks.
I killed 2 with one shot, on purpose, one dropped, one took 2 steps, with an H and R Ultra 25-06, bull barrel, have taken several with this set up the last 15 years out to 180 yds. Not one upping you, just braggin on the H and R.:D. Congrats on a good season. One shot, one kill.

I agree, but also anyone who takes a 270 yard shot at a game animal with a 7.62x39 would be a pretty irresponsible hunter to begin with.
Yep. I've had nice short range deer rifles (30-30, 35 Rem, 45-70) and had every intention of hunting with them, but they almost always stayed in the safe because the thought was always there that it would be when I had one of these in my had that the buck of a lifetime would step out.....at 300 yards. I now have a very short range rifle. A 300BK that I only shoot with subsonics, but that's because I want to hunt fully suppressed at times.

Heres a pic of my Hawken.
image-jpeg.586669
^^^^^^Very nice!^^^^^^

So this year I had to change a few things up. 1996-2014 I was a dog hunter in Jenkins County. I killed about 2 dump truck loads of deer with an 870 and an 11-87. If you have never done this type of hunting you have no idea how hard it is to kill a deer running wide open with buckshot on the ground standing in a jungle with about 40 yards of visibility max. So I switched back to stand hunting closer to home. The drive to Jenkins County was 200 miles one way. Hunting with my AR did not appeal to me and did not seem fair. I mean come on the deer is standing still so I wanted to add a challenge to the hunt. I decided to go with a single shot rifle. I bought another house last summer and with 2 mortages and the expense of equipping myself... stands, trail cams, etc.... I could not afford a T/C set up. I went through a few Handi rifles and just did not like the set up. To heavy and crappy triggers. So I found CVA rifles. I have an Apex in .308( waiting on 35 Whelen barrels to come in stock) and a Scout V2 in .243 and 300Blk "that is for my son". I will be picking up a 7mm08 and one the pistols before next season. The triggers are awesome and are all laser accurate. I pulled off two doubles one with the .308 and one with the 300Blk. There are a few other guys on here who are CVA fans. There guns are all great shooters also. Who else challenges themselves to one shot, archery only, blackpowder, or anything else to add more challenge to hunting. Not bashing anyone who hunts in any legal way. Just looking for other like minded folks.
It only takes 1 good shot to kill !!!!!!!

I love the Hawkins! I have collected the 45, two 50's and a 54. I have converted from the nipple to a 209 shot gun primer. Love that It has a floating firing pin. Never have to worry about miss fires or wet powder. The firing pin cap seals the primer and protects it from moisture. I changed to the Power Belts years ago, but I will never change the powder Goex III F.

I just want to make it clear that I am not bashing anyone on what they hunt with or how they hunt. Just discussing what I did to change up the game for me. If it was legal to hunt with a belt fed, crew served weapon I would support you all the way.

I guarantee anyone who tries Flint lock or Cap Lock will ENJOY shooting more than they ever did. I appreciate all those who came before me as a rifleman more than ever.

I love the Hawkins! I have collected the 45, two 50's and a 54. I have converted from the nipple to a 209 shot gun primer. Love that It has a floating firing pin. Never have to worry about miss fires or wet powder. The firing pin cap seals the primer and protects it from moisture. I changed to the Power Belts years ago, but I will never change the powder Goex III F.
So on the conversion...Which I have seen, What sort of pressure will set off the primer? I hope only the hammer. Could a branch or a fall cause that pin to fall? I guess what I am getting at is you couldn't just push the pin and set off the charge..right?

Back
Top Bottom