• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

One shot at a time.Old School or Outdated?

Patch and Ball? Sabots? Powerbelts?

.385 grain Buffalo Bullet with 85 grains of FFF black powder. Hornady makes the bullets now, Buffalo Bullet company is gone, they have a hollow base and a hollow point. The couple I recovered were bigger than a quarter, but smaller than a half dollar. Deer fall right over - it's easy on my heart....

Patch and Ball? Sabots? Powerbelts?

The inline is setup for a 250gr sabot and (2) 50gr pelletized Pyrodex, so 100gr. Very little recoil compared to the Hawken and will hold a 3" bull out at 100 yards till the barrel gets dirty (4 or 5 rounds).

The Hawken will hold the middle section of a 9" paper plate for the first 4 or 5 rounds.

With either if you punch the barrel with a brush, after the first 4 or 5 rounds and get the powder residue out you're good to go again.

The inline is setup for a 250gr sabot and (2) 50gr pelletized Pyrodex, so 100gr. Very little recoil compared to the Hawken and will hold a 3" bull out at 100 yards till the barrel gets dirty (4 or 5 rounds).

The Hawken will hold the middle section of a 9" paper plate for the first 4 or 5 rounds.

With either if you punch the barrel with a brush, after the first 4 or 5 rounds and get the powder residue out you're good to go again.

I get similar results with my Encore but could never seem to work up a consistent load for the Hawken, my shooting then barrel swab routine almost echoes your method.

I get similar results with my Encore but could never seem to work up a consistent load for the Hawken, my shooting then barrel swab routine almost echoes your method.

70 grains with a roundball or 85 grains with the 385 grain of FFF worked for me best.

Now I don't recall the twist exactly, but I remember the gun was made with a fast twist, designed to shoot roundball accurately, I'm thinking it was something like a 1 in 72 twist, but I really don't remember....

I'm sure the twist rate would have something to do with finding the best load for the gun.
I've shot with so little powder the ball rolled out and I'm thinking I shot with something just over 100 grains and damn near displaced my shoulder. But those two loads were the best for me and I've been shooting this thing for 40 years...

Update: I just looked into the twist rate and it was either 1:48 or 1:66, the old gun I gave to a friend was 1:66 and the newer one is 1:48. I guess the twist rate doesn't matter as much as I thought, because they both shoot these same loads very well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom