• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Opinion: Are they on the right track?

saygoodnight

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
4   0
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t2...men-carry-rifles-through-town-to-educate.kptv

Two men in Portland, OR (both holders of valid CCWs) have decided to wear their AR's on their person, in plain view of the public & were walking around their local town square.
It gained national media attention (as I'm sure they kinda wanted). They say their purpose was to help educate others on the laws & to help them understand that the guns were not bad. That they could defend themselves in any situation because they had them. However, store employees of a hair salon they walked by ended up locking themselves all in the back room & calling the cops, along with most of the other shops.

One man interviewed said "All they're doing is scaring people. - That's not the way to get your point across."

My question:
Are these men going about things in the wrong way as the townsfolk seem to think?
What would you do in that situation? As the man with AR or employee of a freaked out store?

Personally, with the stigma that AR's have against them right now. I feel they may have gone about educating the public the wrong way. They were not wrong about carrying their weapons however. In today's age, we, as lawful gun owners, are very much aware of the fear that others feel when we wear our weapons because they are not educated on them.

If your goal is to educate, why not talk with your local courthouse & get whatever permit you need to set up a booth in the square on a certain day & bring your weapon to offer to allow them to see the weapon. Let them see that you are responsible by making sure that they are responsible before letting them see the empty weapon by making sure they are taught how to check the chamber & not to mussel flash anyone.
That's all in a perfect world however.

What are your opinions?

Back
Top Bottom