Opinion of home security camera systems

Bought an Arlo system and returned it the following weekend. Wireless is a good feature, but the video quality sucked and batteries in one of the cams dropped 30% in a week.

My current solution is WYZE cam. Great video quality at 1080. Modular set up with night vision capability. I have alerts sent to my mobile devices and could see what was going on at the house clearly during my overseas travel. Can't beat it for less than $30 a camera.

https://www.wyze.com

This looks good but I need clarification regard the “wireless” cameras. The following statement is from the item description:

Cameras are auto-paired with NVR's WiFi network after plugging in the power adapter to an outlet, Just power on and all is done. No configuration! Except the power cable, no extra cable for the cameras is required. It releases you from messy cablings. A real plug and play system – installation can’t be simpler for DIY enthusiasts!”

Does this mean that the transmission of the feed from the camera is “wireless” but it has to be plugged into a power source?

Does this mean that the transmission of the feed from the camera is “wireless” but it has to be plugged into a power source?

If you go with that particular package, it is a wireless camera offering. The camera feed is WiFi but each camera needs power - the image shows the multiple power adapters plus power line extensions supplied for each camera for longer distances. If you go with the POE version, both the camera signal feed and power to each camera is supplied via a single POE (power over Ethernet) cable, so no separate power cables are needed. The NVR, which plugs into a regular wall outlet, provides the power over the Ethernet cables.

In summary, a wireless camera system sends its signal wirelessly but needs power (batteries or a power adapter) to operate. A POE system needs a single cable to be run to each camera, and that single cable carries both the power signal and the camera feed.

Hmm, if I daisy-chain power to all the camera's from the DVR via a POE run, will this same (POE) wiring also send digital video over ethernet back to DVR and therefore eliminate need for wireless (and no need for WiFi)?

A WiFi enabled NVR (network video recorder) can provide the WiFi (wireless network) for the cameras, but you need the separate power source for each camera. This will allow local recording and playback but, if not connected to the Internet, you won't get remote viewing when away from the recorder.

For POE, each camera needs a separate cable, not "daisy-chained". Each cable plugs into a powered Ethernet port on the back of the NVR for communicating with and powering each camera. Without Internet access, as with the wireless system, you get local recording and playback but you won't get remote viewing when away from the recorder.

This looks good but I need clarification regard the “wireless” cameras. The following statement is from the item description:

Cameras are auto-paired with NVR's WiFi network after plugging in the power adapter to an outlet, Just power on and all is done. No configuration! Except the power cable, no extra cable for the cameras is required. It releases you from messy cablings. A real plug and play system – installation can’t be simpler for DIY enthusiasts!”

The cameras are not battery powered, they must be plugged into a power source. Connection between the camera and the router that records all footage is wireless.

I’ve got a Samsung wisenet system and so far it works great. I have a wired camera system and it’s far superior to the wireless one I had for a while. It had several cameras that were about 60’ from the dvr and they were sporadically dropping the video signal. They also have the WiseView app for your iPhone so you can check the live feed from just about anywhere you have cell service. I gave about $300 for a 4 camera , 8 channel system so you can add 4 more if you want to. Bought mine at Home Depot.

Back
Top Bottom