Opinions on best Hunting Round for a S/B 30-30

Ken Ford

Default rank 5000+ posts
Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
175   0
Reaction score
Ive acquired a 16” Whincester that I really like. I added it to my cache so that I would have something to hunt with between 5.56 and 12gauge. Besides it’s git a cool factor that’s out of this world. LOL

I’m only looking for factory loads as I don’t have the equipment to reload.

Right now I’m torn between 170 Whinchester Power Point and 160 Hornady lever-evolution.

My thinking is the bullet will not reach higher velocity anyway, so the larger grain would be more effective. What say you experts?

Like u, I like many calibers. I hunt with 6.8, 308, and my old favorite the 3030.

More recently I’ve gone back to the 30-30 again. Really a beautiful hunting round for Georgia.

I learned some time ago to stop picking my favorite hunting round and ask the gun what it likes. Buy a box of each, take them to the range and shoot for nice controlled three or five shot groups. Usually the gun will favor one obviously over the other. I’ll take the accuracy improvement for whichever round the gun likes best.

Even identical model guns from the same manufacture, will favor different bullets, due to their unique Ferrell harmonic characteristics unique to each rifle.

I have one lever action that favors Hornady Leverution which it shoots groups half the size of other bullets. And my other 30-30 lever action favors 170g softpoints which shoot tighter than the Hornady.

I'd say the Leverevolution if you know you'll be stretching it's legs. Otherwise, 30-30 Corelokts have probably killed more deer than any other bullet.

Get a box of each and see which your gun likes most.

Significant impact point shift from 150 to 170 gr. Decide what you like and stay with it.

I prefer the 150 due to the higher MV and slightly flatter trajectory.

Significant impact point shift from 150 to 170 gr. Decide what you like and stay with it.

I prefer the 150 due to the higher MV and slightly flatter trajectory.
My thinking is, the bullet isn’t going to get fast no matter what. So I figured the energy with the bigger bullet would do better. Kinda like a .45

My thinking is, the bullet isn’t going to get fast no matter what. So I figured the energy with the bigger bullet would do better. Kinda like a .45

I normally like a big bullet too, but, the ergonomics of the 30-30s I have shot make them hard kickers. The 150 helps in that department, the extra speed is a bonus.

eta: I also prefer a 125 spire point in the Garand for hunting. I guess I am just weird.

Alot of guys swear by core-lokt or similar bonded bullets. The expansion is usually very consistent, with little fragmentation.

Ballistic tips also expand very reliably, but some folks think they over penetrate. They also fragment and wind up messing up more meat in the process, but you can always argue for better shot placement.

My .308 likes winchester 168g silver tips, which are ballistic tips. They always punch straight through the deer, sometimes fragmenting, and they always leave a quarter sized exit wound.

Get a load that your rifle shoots well. As long as you arent shooting fmj, and put your shots where they need to be, the deer will go down just fine.

Just remember that swapping rounds will shift your point of impact, and you'll likely need to re zero, so make sure you shoot a readily available loading.

Back
Top Bottom