• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Opinions on cold air intake

dj7500

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
0   0
Reaction score
I was thinking about putting a cold air intake on my 2004 ford ranger 3.0l v6, the only other modifications I have done is a muffler delete with a down pipe and a 2 in leveling kit with larger a/t tires, and was curious if a cold air intake would actually increase horsepower, torque and fuel economy or if it's just another gimmick.

I was thinking about putting a cold air intake on my 2004 ford ranger 3.0l v6, the only other modifications I have done is a muffler delete with a down pipe and a 2 in leveling kit with larger a/t tires, and was curious if a cold air intake would actually increase horsepower, torque and fuel economy or if it's just another gimmick.
Has very little effect on the 3.0ltr. It is good for the truck but not worth the money imo. A K&N filter only would give close to the same effect only less $$$$ to be spent

Another great reason to not do the K&N air filter is filtration level. The K&N filter proudly boasts filtration down to 5 microns! So do a little research and you will find out that all engine wear is the result of particals smaller than 5 microns.

You can get the same results just by taking off the air cleaner. Cheaper too!

The better filter is an am-soil cleanable filter. K&N Boasts unrestricted airflow to 9000 rpm. The am-soil is only unrestricted to 5000. Do a little more research and figure out how long your engine actually runs at 5000 rpm.

The stock air filter is just fine as long as you periodically check it, and replace it when it’s dirty

I put one on my ram with 5.7 hemi. Also had flow master muffler installed. It show around 1 to 1.5mpg increase. Not really sure if it was worth me money but I love the sound .

I am not a big fan of cold air intakes. They can show minor improvements on certain vehicles....in conjunction with proper tuning; but it is not the most economical way to gain power. I get cold air out of a bottle for my GTO...it makes a noticeable difference. :D

I have one on my GTO. I think it was more for volume of airflow due to size of filter than it was for cold air. It's not completely sealed from the engine heat, and kind of poorly vented to outside air. Not sure a smaller engine would benefit very much from one.
napp napp ...GTO? What year?

I have one on my GTO. I think it was more for volume of airflow due to size of filter than it was for cold air. It's not completely sealed from the engine heat, and kind of poorly vented to outside air. Not sure a smaller engine would benefit very much from one.
napp napp ...GTO? What year?
'05. I blow the nitrous thru the stock air box/intake.

its a yes and no question. can you see decent gain from just a cold air intake, the short answer is yes, but it does matter on the car. First off n/a cars will never see as big a gain as a turbo car, anything with forced induction is where you really start ot see some gains. Second it has to be an ACTUALLY COLD AIR SYSTEM, not something that looks like a cold air intake with a fancy filter that is sucking up hot air inside the engine bay. I run an actual cold air intake in my turbo miata and saw around 10-15hp increase but that is with the line actually leading outside and is really pulling in cold air.

I would not spend the money on one. If you really wanted to give it some oomph, I believe there are kits to bolt on an m90 Eaton supercharger. That would be a cool set-up.

Back
Top Bottom