• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Out Of Time Revolver Blues

BullseyeBoomer

Default rank <1250 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
120   0
Reaction score
I have a S&W model 28 with timing issue. The hammer will lock back into place before the cylinder locks. As I understand it, it needs the "hand" replaced with an oversized unit, then filed down to fit, which is beyond my skill level, so I need a gunsmith to fix it.

I live in the vicinty of Rossville / Fort Oglethorpe / Ringgold / Chickamauga. If any of you know of a competent gunsmith, it would be greatly appreciated if you could direct me to him.

Thanks & Semper Fi!

Hands vary in size. If you have 6 of the same "size", most will be slightly different in thickness when measured with a micrometer. Also, some "smiths" will alter the end of the hand for who knows what reason.

DO NOT go to an oversized hand without trying different stock sized hands first. Once you cut the frame, there is no putting the metal back.

Also, are you checking the timing with brass or an empty cylinder? Empty cylinder check on timing often checks bad when there is nothing wrong with the timing.

Hands vary in size. If you have 6 of the same "size", most will be slightly different in thickness when measured with a micrometer. Also, some "smiths" will alter the end of the hand for who knows what reason.

DO NOT go to an oversized hand without trying different stock sized hands first. Once you cut the frame, there is no putting the metal back.

Also, are you checking the timing with brass or an empty cylinder? Empty cylinder check on timing often checks bad when there is nothing wrong with the timing.
Thanks for the reply. No, I checked with empty chambers, don't have any fired brass. How would loading it make a difference?

Back
Top Bottom