• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

+P Ammo question

mclovin

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
4   0
Reaction score
I have found some "so so" answers but I am looking for yalls answers. What does this +P signify on ammo? And is it safe to fire i.e. 38 spl+P ammo from my colt cobra 38spl? Or my ruger gp100 357?

Yes both your colt and ruger will handle +p ammo.

The +P pretty much denotes higher pressure and more velocity. Though velocity and pressures are not directly related you would want to be more worried about pressure so for the sake of keeping it all simple because this could be a long winded statement. Your firearm must be able to handle HIGH pressure loads. Revolvers don't really have to worry as much as automatics but again I don't want to get into it all.

Pressure it's mostly just pressure.

Aluminum frame Cobra? If it were mine, it would be no +P, save those rounds for steel framed or later model guns.

Colt doesn't recommend a steady diet of +p even in their later Cobras.

Ruger -- all day everyday ,an twice on Sunday :0)

Aluminum frame revolver -- 5 rounds to see how it performs ,an then carry ammo if it performs well.

Check out the SAAMI site for more than all the info that you could ever want on pressure designations.
basically Plus P designation usually falls about 10% above standard pressure ratings in the particular caliber.
Not all calibers are rated Plus p and not all weapons are rated for plus p usage.
Plus P plus has no pressure rating just for the record, it falls somewhere between plus p and ruture test pressures , so!
Personally plus p ammo in a snub nose is wasting a lot of money, power, and presents muzzle rise. wear and noise.
but to each their own.

Back
Top Bottom